• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

FOR SALE 70 Challenger "Pilot" Car on LA Craigslist For Sale (Not Mine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Contact seller
Thought this was an interesting car for sale
Seller claims the car is a Pilot car made in the LA plant selling at $17.5k
6 cyl automatic Challenger w a September 1969 production date.
Car runs and drives; thought this was a high price for what the car is?
Would the Pilot status show up on a fender tag in LA production?

1970 Dodge Challenger PILOT CAR built in the LA plant in September 6 9

00a0a_lWtGK7hbL4P_1200x900.jpg

Dino2 (1).gif

moparlee

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know much about pilot cars, but a production date of Sept 69 seems way late for a pilot car. By that date wouldn't the 70's have been going out the door?

Most every panel on that car has been crumpled up.

budascuda

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me like the seller is trying to establish provenance and rarity to help sell the car?
The claims that are hardest to verify are the easiest to make!

Last edited:

jeff968

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The model year definitely started in August so September is a full month later. That said, maybe the LA plant came online a month later? there are definitely many August 69 e-bodies from Hamtramck out there.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jeff, you are correct about the delayed production for the LA plant

The 1970 Dodge Challenger arrives
Friday, August 1, 1969 saw a fervor of excitement at Line One and Line Two at Dodge Main in Hamtramck. While numerous plants around the country were producing new 1970 Plymouths, Dodges, Chryslers, and Imperials, Dodge Main was, for the moment, the only one constructing the all-new Challenger and its platform sibling, the Barracuda. (Van Nuys Plant in Los Angeles would begin weeks later.)

Would like to see the data tag on this 6cyl car?
Dino2 (1).gif

Pyro273

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and it's a Vanishing Point car on e-bodies.org...strange how both of these forums are discussing the same car at the same time but in different contexts....
update...
Reading the other OP post a bit more closely, it doesn't appear that the seller is actually trying to pass it off as a true movie car...

Last edited:

budascuda

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and it's a Vanishing Point car on e-bodies.org...strange how both of these forums are discussing the same car at the same time but in different contexts....
update...
Reading the other OP post a bit more closely, it doesn't appear that the seller is actually trying to pass it off as a true movie car...

About a year ago we were having some conversations about this very same car on this forum.
I can't recall the seller making any claims regarding the car being a pilot car.

/sixchall

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B635BF1F-128D-407E-930F-C13B12BF644E.png
Say guys..........my Slant6 ‘70 Challenger was assembled in LA as a very early built car, with a VIN of 100113. The SPD on my car is Aug. 18, 1969, this is a Monday the first day of regular production. Preproduction cars such as pilot, exec leases and magazine thrashing cars were built starting Aug. 1, 1969 up to Aug. 18, 1969. Mines not even a pilot car, just a first day regular production built car. I found some information on this issue, so I’ll post it up for you here. Thanks, Al

KATSAAR

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 months ago it was 12k.
don't waste your time.
its a 3k pile

Last edited:

DrEamer

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
6 months ago it was 12k.
don't waste your time.
its a 3k pile

This car has been for sale for quite some time. When I was looking at everything well over a year ago it was for sale. I see everyone, like myself, passed on it.

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep - I'm from Los Angeles and been in Washington DC in the Air Force for 5 years - That car has been on CL for at least 1.5 years at this point... The seller has labeled it as several things to try and get attention and doesn't even respond to messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back