• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger RT/SE restoration started

tomps

Reaction score
Well I've started the resto on my '70 RT/SE. 383 auto (not original I don't think.....my car had a build date of Jan. 1970 and the code on the block I think is April??), AC, PW, PS, leather front seats, am radio, appears to be all correct. Found the vin stamped on the radiator support as well as cowl. t has drum brakes all around. they seem good.....not sure if I should convert to disc in the front? I want to do the car all stock and original and have a solid #2 driver quality car.

It took my about 8-10 hours (really took my time) but the motor is ready to come out almost. I'm having the body shop take it down to bare metal, repair any areas and re-paint the original plum crazy. After getting the radiator out, I found the right front frame rail bent. Looks like it can be straighten....but now I know why the front valance didn't look right. I didn't notice this when I bought the car....

photocopy12.jpg

photocopy14.jpg

photocopy15_zps7e50e70c.jpg

photocopy17_zpsc2aba65e.jpg

photocopy16_zpsd5156768.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Nice looking car. I agree with Leo. Disc brakes are a must. Keep the old spindles and drums since they came with the car.

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Agree with Leo and 6pak on the disc conversion, nice car, best of luck with it.

tomps

Reaction score
Well a little progress is being made. Lower quarters good, a bit of rot and holes uncovered in the usual area in front of the wheel wells. Did find evidence of the car getting hit in the right side. The door hinge post is pushed in, we'll be able to straighten along with the bent front frame rail. Motor coming put this weekend.

Did decide to go with disc brakes....anyone recommend a good kit or place to shop??

photocopy24_zps17406d09.jpg

photocopy28_zps9a76ad90.jpg

photocopy25_zpsa954782d.jpg

photocopy29_zpsbb7bd721.jpg

Fender not bad.....a bit of rot of the corner typical

photocopy26_zpsf9674912.jpg

photocopy27_zpsc523fde2.jpg

photocopy20_zps9d08e707.jpg

photocopy19_zps8d7c2936.jpg

photocopy21_zpsbeab4fff.jpg

tomps

Reaction score
A little more progress by the body shop the last few weeks. They pulled the frame back in to alignment. The right front rail was 2 3/4" out of whack.....and the left rail which I couldn't even tell a little under 1" out....

Before....
photocopy16_zpsd5156768.jpg

After....
photocopy61_zpsad0e02d8.jpg

photocopy60_zpsa73df5b7.jpg

photocopy62_zps98c6a681.jpg

The lower rear quarters had been done sometime along the way already.....
photocopy65_zps1d6be68c.jpg

photocopy63_zps2a5c87a9.jpg

photocopy64_zps4127e762.jpg

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Looks like you are making great progress. You car is in better condition than a lot of them. It will really be a nice car done.

ramenth

Reaction score
Looks like the shop did a nice job bringing the rails back over.

Nice progress, so far!

tomps

Reaction score
More progress.....going a bit slow but that is fine with me. Ended up replacing the inner fender apron. Also ordered a taillight panel and lower rear crossmember which was pretty punky. The tail panel had a lot of peppering corrosion so we decided to replace instead of trying to repair.
Progress is progress though!

photo5_zps62b67b84.jpg

photo4_zps2f2fbdf3.jpg

photo3_zpsfe3c4c7a.jpg

photo1_zpsd7a1f12d.jpg

Last edited:

tomps

Reaction score
Little bit more progress.....

photo1copy6_zpsbfb556da.jpg

photo2copy6_zps3b5eb9b5.jpg

photo3copy6_zps3671f6cb.jpg

photo4copy4_zps5090ebbb.jpg

photo3copy5_zpsfd96eae4.jpg

photo3copy4_zpsb103f831.jpg

I'm guessing this is how the factory filled in the area to accept the smaller SE formal rear glass? You can see the seam all the way around. Was "gummed up" pretty heavy which caused it to bubble. Going with new top to match the new paint.

photo4copy5_zpsbcb69202.jpg

Last edited:

tomps

Reaction score
Moving along pretty good now. Quarters looking good. Peeled back the vinyl top and of course un-covered some minor issues. A few dents and some rust will need to be taken care of.

I'm guessing the RT/SE rear window is considered "Un-obtainium"? Doesn't seem to be an easy piece to find. This one is ok just afraid of it being damaged.

photo3copy7_zps53b06a81.jpg

photo4copy6_zps16374ba5.jpg

photo1copy8_zps7ca23595.jpg

photo4copy7_zpsaeba8abc.jpg

Rotax

Reaction score
I don't have pics but I am working on a 70 EV2 440 4 speed

tomps

Reaction score
Well it's been a while but we're slowly moving forward.......

photo1copy10_zps623da147.jpg

photo3copy9_zpscbcaadf5.jpg

Panels are loosely hung on but fit very nice. Hopeful for paint in the next month just some final sanding to do...

photo4copy8_zpse58dc196.jpg

photo1copy12_zpsd998655c.jpg

photo2copy10_zpse1ea92a5.jpg

tomps

Reaction score
Back at it.....got some chassis black paint on it finally. All new suspension/bushings prior to painting. Body has had it's final block sanding. Phil (dude in the background) doing final blocking/sanding on all the panels. Might actually have some paint on it soon! Been at the shop a year now.......man I can't wait to get it back....just in time for SNOW probably.

photo5copy4_zpsaa7a5639.jpg

photo4copy9_zpsd8bec16e.jpg

photo3copy10_zps1e609328.jpg

photo2copy11_zpsaf86e825.jpg

Question: On the very top of the firewall near the windshield (where the VIN is stamped on to firewall) I've seen that area painted black and others the same color of the car. I've chosen to paint same as car....was kind of curious as to what is correct?

-Mark

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Steady progress. Looks very straight now.
Cannot tell if you converted the car to front disc brakes by the recent pictures.
Did you/or will you change them out for the safety factor as recommended?

Not sure if my 74 would be the same, but all areas from firewall all the way up to the windshield are painted same as the car.

tomps

Reaction score
Steady progress. Looks very straight now.
Cannot tell if you converted the car to front disc brakes by the recent pictures.
Did you/or will you change them out for the safety factor as recommended?

Not sure if my 74 would be the same, but all areas from firewall all the way up to the windshield are painted same as the car.

Good eye! The body is real straight and smooooth.

Having a real hard time finding exactly what I am looking for as far as a disc brake conversion kit. There seem to be plenty of kits available but they all seem to require upgrading to 15" wheels. I want to keep the original 14" wheels the car came with as seen in pics. Plus my wallet has taken a steady hit on this project. I'm leaning towards holding off on the disc brake conversion for those reason unless I can come up with what I'm looking for? I keep going back and forth on this............

I plan on painting the firewall all the way from the body "pinch" line/weld from the bottom up to the windshield. Not spraying the underside floors etc. color coordinated.

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
I brought up the brake issue again from past experiences.
I was driving my 68 mustang all drum car years ago on the freeway. Wasn't even raining at the time but the roads were still wet.
Take the off ramp that requires a quick slow down and sharp probably 270deg looping turn. Nothin...
Many pumps later they finally grabbed and I miraculously fishtail slid all the way around. Promptly cleaned my shorts and then converted it to the discs.
Possibly just convert it over to a later year factory version. Most likely lower cost and the 14"s can be retained. Master cylinder and proportioning valve would also be changed.

Last edited:
Back