• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger rtse fuel gauge wiring

mopar70rtse

Reaction score
Hi all.
I hope I can explain this right. I pulled the dash out of my 70 challenger rtse and I'm trying to figure out how the fuel gauge is wired. I have the DBL wire from the main wire harness connected to the left side of the gauge which is also marked DBL. and a black jumper wire attached to the right that jumps from the voltage limiter to the water, oil, and fuel gauge. Now being this is a SE car, I have wiring that runs from the low fuel relay to different parts of the dash. In this harness is a DBL wire that has the same end, that would connect to the fuel gauge. My wire digram show it going to the left side of the fuel gauge and the other DBL wire from the main harness to the right side of the gauge. The rally Inst. wiring shows the black jumper to the left side of the fuel gauge and the DBL wire from main harness to the right side of the gauge.
I'm so confused. Can someone please tell me how the fuel gauge is wired so the gauge and the low fuel light on the overhead console will work
I would think the black jumper needs to be on their to help regulate voltage to the gauge, but I'm not sure. The DBL wire for the overhead console wasn't connected to anything when I pulled the dash. I guess that would explain why the low fuel light was always on.

I attached a couple of Pics.
Thanks,
Gabe

0523121623.jpg

0523121625.jpg

0523121625a.jpg

7071 challenger

Reaction score
Are you working on a standard cluster or rallye ?
From the back view, it looks like a Rallye cluster to me, (you can telle the the other gauges are positioned at 3 o'clock, 9 o'clock & 6 o'clock, and, being an R/T, it should be a Rallye cluster

Robert

mopar70rtse

Reaction score
Yes, it's a rallye cluster.
I had a reply from another forum and from the answer, looks like the DBL wire from the lowfuel relay goes as per the diagram, to the side of the fuel gauge marked DBL and the DBL wire from the main cluster goes to the right side of the gauge. So then the I guess the voltage limiter jumper wire doesn't connect to the gauge. I'm not sure and I just need to have this verified.

Thanks,
Gabe

Back