• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger trunk Jack mount

Dodgey

Reaction score
Hi,

Chasing some help on the placement of the forward (wheel arch) mount for the jack on my 1970 Challenger. It's had rust repair work done on it and the original mounts and locations are long gone prior to me buying the car. I've bought a new (repo) set of jack mounts. The rear mount is straight forward enough - goes at the rear end of the grove the tire iron sits in. But the forward mount has me a little confused. If I place it where it seems to fit the contours of the wheel arch, it's not in the same line as the groove the tire iron sits in.

Can someone help me with where the forward mount should sit? I realise being a repo part it will likely need some careful bending to get it to line up properly, but i want to make sure i'm putting it in the right spot before I go bending it.

Pics below show where it seems to want to fit. It doesn't come through in the pics, but where I have it sitting the end of the jack goes past the forward most end of the jack mount. Not sure if that's how it's meant to be or the end of the jack should be up against the front of the mount.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_5879.JPG

IMG_5882.JPG

IMG_5883.JPG

pschlosser

Reaction score
barracuda trunk jack 4.jpg

I will give this a go. FYI, in the image, the lug wrench is improperly placed. Once the rear-most end of the jack post is in place in the rear bracket on the trunk floor, you want to consider the following points when placing the forward bracket:
  • using the top edge of the bracket as a guide, adjust the placement (forward to back over the wheel well hump) so the angle of the top edge is parallel with the angle of the jack post.
  • the bracket contains a forward stop (the angled portion at the front end of the bracket) to prevent the jack post from flying forward and impaling anyone in a serious head-on. So, leave room for the jack post to slide forward and disengage from the rear bracket for removal of the jack post.
  • adjust the placement (left to right across the wheel well) so the the upper edge of the jack post rest (the area the post rests on of this forward bracket) is level or parallel with the ground.

Last edited:

Dodgey

Reaction score
View attachment 103896

I will give this a go. FYI, in the image, the lug wrench is improperly placed. Once the rear-most end of the jack post is in place in the rear bracket on the trunk floor, you want to consider the following points when placing the forward bracket:
  • using the top edge of the bracket as a guide, adjust the placement (forward to back over the wheel well hump) so the angle of the top edge is parallel with the angle of the jack post.
  • the bracket contains a forward stop (the angled portion at the front end of the bracket) to prevent the jack post from flying forward and impaling anyone in a serious head-on. So, leave room for the jack post to slide forward and disengage from the rear bracket for removal of the jack post.
  • adjust the placement (left to right across the wheel well) so the the upper edge of the jack post rest (the area the post rests on of this forward bracket) is level or parallel with the ground.
Thank you so much! That makes it very clear now.

Cudapile

Reaction score
Hi,

Chasing some help on the placement of the forward (wheel arch) mount for the jack on my 1970 Challenger. It's had rust repair work done on it and the original mounts and locations are long gone prior to me buying the car. I've bought a new (repo) set of jack mounts. The rear mount is straight forward enough - goes at the rear end of the grove the tire iron sits in. But the forward mount has me a little confused. If I place it where it seems to fit the contours of the wheel arch, it's not in the same line as the groove the tire iron sits in.

Can someone help me with where the forward mount should sit? I realise being a repo part it will likely need some careful bending to get it to line up properly, but i want to make sure i'm putting it in the right spot before I go bending it.

Pics below show where it seems to want to fit. It doesn't come through in the pics, but where I have it sitting the end of the jack goes past the forward most end of the jack mount. Not sure if that's how it's meant to be or the end of the jack should be up against the front of the mount.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 103878

View attachment 103879

View attachment 103880

Dimensions from my 72 Challenger,
Hope this helps.

70862510-C09E-43AE-ABA5-0AC38E2BA249.jpeg

A19813EA-15DE-45C3-A026-EC7D905422FB.jpeg

8D2719DC-FF51-4852-8CEC-F45C7DE08158.jpeg

B3AC6F32-6C41-491D-93CE-DEB8EC40E205.jpeg

6C625E7C-810F-44C0-BD46-E0A889BA30D2.jpeg

Back