• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 cuda alternator question

wigger

Reaction score
I need to purchase a new dual field alternator for my 70 cuda 440 6 pack car, rally gauges, will be adding aftermarket stereo and amplifier , electric system is original, no modifications. What amp etc, should i use.

moparleo

Reaction score
If you are going to increase the output of the system, you need to upgrade the wiring or risk burning/melting wires, gauges etc.... 40+ year old wiring that was meant for a low amp system will not hold up to modern amp loads without something eventually or immediately giving out. Like putting a supercharger on a stock bottom end. Will not last long. Here is just a little bit of what you will need to know and do.
Improved Wiring for older Mopars

wigger

Reaction score
Can i use a lower amp alternator that came stock with the system? I dont have alot of experience in these matters. Im adding a CD player, and a 4 Channel amplifier. I need to purchase a alternator as the car doesnt have one when i purchased it.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Catalog I found this article very easy to understand/follow basically you've got to get rid of that spade terminal that carries all the power through the firewall plug it is too puny and will get hot melting the plug, wiring insulation and possibly burn your car to the ground. I am going to enlarge the hole in my plug and run a thicker then standard wire through the plug with no terminals yes if I ever need to disconnect the plug I will have to pull the wire back through but that probably won't happen too often (I hope). Then I will disconnect and bypass the amp meter (who needs it anyway).

rogue

Reaction score
i upgrade electric in both my cars and run upgraded powermaster amps... even if you don't get one of theirs this might help
Which Alternator?

wigger

Reaction score
Catalog I found this article very easy to understand/follow basically you've got to get rid of that spade terminal that carries all the power through the firewall plug it is too puny and will get hot melting the plug, wiring insulation and possibly burn your car to the ground. I am going to enlarge the hole in my plug and run a thicker then standard wire through the plug with no terminals yes if I ever need to disconnect the plug I will have to pull the wire back through but that probably won't happen too often (I hope). Then I will disconnect and bypass the amp meter (who needs it anyway).

i read up on bye passing the fuse panel, and running black directly from alternator to starter relay, adding a fusible link, im going to do this and add a heavier gauge wire.

aussiemark

Reaction score
When you look at used dash wiring harnesses they are nearly always melted at the same connections it makes you wonder how close did the car come to burning to a crisp. Under the dash would be the easiest place for a fire to take hold and destroy a car, limited access to extinguish and lots of combustible material under there plus lots of air to feed the fire especially if the window or door is open.

Back