• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Cuda restoration with Air Grabber Hood style Air cleaner

Ariovistus

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. It has Been a minute. I have a friend with a 70 Cuda 383 with the Dual Scoop Power Bulge Hood. He recently acquired a 6 pack Style /Air Grabber Hood 4 Barrel Air Cleaner with the Oval filter. He is looking at a 2 inch K & N Oval filter, and then saw a 3 inch Filter Element. Is there enough room under the Power Bulge Dual scooped Hood for a 3 Inch filter element , or should He stick with the 2 Inch Filter Element? Your Assistance is appreciated. Thank You.

Ariovistus

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. It has Been a minute. I have a friend with a 70 Cuda 383 with the Dual Scoop Power Bulge Hood. He recently acquired a 6 pack Style /Air Grabber Hood 4 Barrel Air Cleaner with the Oval filter. He is looking at a 2 inch K & N Oval filter, and then saw a 3 inch Filter Element. Is there enough room under the Power Bulge Dual scooped Hood for a 3 Inch filter element , or should He stick with the 2 Inch Filter Element? Your Assistance is appreciated. Thank You.

rklein71

Reaction score
Don’t know about e-bodies but on my 69 Barracuda, I had less than a 1/4 inch clearance with a stock six barrel air cleaner. I was tickled pink that it fit.

themechanic

Reaction score
I think someone on YouTube proved that K&N filters flow less than paper filters. I don't think anyone makes 3" paper filters.

heminut

Reaction score
I think someone on YouTube proved that K&N filters flow less than paper filters. I don't think anyone makes 3" paper filters.
Every test I've seen showed the K&N filters flowing better than the paper filters. I've ran them for years on most of my vehicles. I don't run them on my Ram diesel, apparently diesel engines don't like the K&N filters for some reason.

themechanic

Reaction score
Every test I've seen showed the K&N filters flowing better than the paper filters. I've ran them for years on most of my vehicles. I don't run them on my Ram diesel, apparently diesel engines don't like the K&N filters for some reason.
I just rewatched a few videos. They showed HP gain on the dyno of about 2% over paper. When properly cleaned and oiled they attract a lit of dirt. So, there's the maintenance issue. With paper filters they're much cheaper and require no maintenance.

heminut

Reaction score
When properly cleaned and oiled they attract a lit of dirt.
Uuh yeah, that's what they're supposed to do! Pretty much every dirt track racer here in the desert run K&N's on their racecars and have been for years so I'm guessing they do a pretty good job. The one on My Cuda has been on there for 20 years, wonder what I would have paid for paper filters over that time?

Back