• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Cuda starting issues

gliderider-06

Reaction score
I have a 70 Barracuda that has a starting gremlin that I can't figure out. Everything was working fine on it until I pulled the lights out of it to paint the car. At first, it would not crank over with the key (after pulling all the lights out of the car), but it would start if the key was in the on position and jump the relay with a screwdriver.
Now the car is painted and have put the lights back in it and it still does the same thing with the exception that it will start with the key if the turn signal is on (either direction) It won't start if the brake pedal is pressed, only if the turn sigs are on. I am really stumped with this. was working fine. It has a new engine wire harness, electronic ign. starter, relay, ballast, ecm etc...
I have traced wires, swapped parts, added ground wires, jumpers checked plug connections.:BangHead:
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! PLease:help:

cudaman70

Reaction score
maybe have someone else look at sometimes another set of eyes will find something you overlooked never know

burntorange70

Reaction score
If it starts with the key in the on positon but not when the key is up in the crank over position it is most likly some thing is up with the circuit that powers the coil in the cranking positon as the on position is a different circuit that powers the coil after the car has been started.

I would start at the key and work my way down and through the fire wall and into the engin bay and try and find where the power stops.

As for the turn signal thing? I don't know? Thats a strange one.

gliderider-06

Reaction score
could there be a missing ground somewhere like a steering column to body/dash. makes me think it has lost a ground somewhere since it starts when the turn signals are on. I have the neutral safety switch jumped and was that way before removing all the lights before paint. I have also now have all the new paint gasgets in the taillights, and markers, so could the ignition circuit be grounding out through the lights?

HANG TEN

Reaction score
I'd check all the engine area main grounds. Don't put the main grounds up against thick new paint. (battery and engine block ground)

73 kooda

Reaction score
How about where you painted...you may have inadvertently closed up the ground connection by the paint ...try cleaning out your screw holes where the grounds Previously were...

gliderider-06

Reaction score
I can't say that I figured it out, But after bolting on the bumpers, valence panels, re bolting the tail lights in with new hardware, it is working now. All I can figure is that somewhere in the car it has a bad ground circuit that is completed with all the parts bolted on it. The big question is where???

Back