• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Gran Coupe

JoeNY

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
The car I have hasn't been on the road since the early 80's. Engine and transmission have been rebuilt but not in the car. Someone in the past decided to spray the engine bay black, and now it's all peeling. I know the engine isn't original, but I'm not having much luck trying to figure out what it came out of. It's a 383 and the number on the bottom of the block is 9C278361. It's probably going to be a retirement project in a few years.

0707191143.jpg

0707191205.jpg

0710190939a.jpg

0707191204a.jpg

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas! Nice project! Love the color.

DJ1967Dart

Reaction score
Welcome from downstate NY. Love the car. Good luck with the project!

moparlee

Reaction score
Joe, welcome to the site from Michigan. That's going to be fun retirement project.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Howdy from Colorado.

Looks like 9C278361 Would most likely be a 1969 C body motor.

Is that grill you have the original Black oraginasol? Or has it been painted black in it's life time? Would the plastic happen to be black plastic on the rear?

Sweet ride! Is it EV2? Or go mango? Let's see some more info on that sweet ride you have there.

Cojohnso

Reaction score
Welcome. I've never had a decent description difference between Grand Coup vs standard Cuda package? It looks just some interior differences? It looks as if body panels, doors, engine and drivetrain components are interchangeable?

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome. I've never had a decent description difference between Grand Coup vs standard Cuda package? It looks just some interior differences? It looks as if body panels, doors, engine and drivetrain components are interchangeable?
They are
I like the GC’s

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! How long till retirement, I’m excited!

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Jefferson plant had Imperials and Chryslers made in 1969. Most likely a New Yorker motor.

However I have been informed that the G plant often times would stamp and the let part of the G would not show up on the stamp and the motor would have them come from the G plant. So it could be from a gtx, coronet r/t or charger.
A closer examination might explain where the motor came from.
I know, not that big a deal. I'm just talking.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Quite a lot of difference's between a Gran Coupe and a Cuda as well as differences with the barracuda.
Options were the main difference between them.
Yes, body parts and drive train are interchangeable. So are the different options.
From the factory though there were many items that were only available on each of those models.
The cuda, not so much "more" options. Actually the Cuda usually received less options due to weight savings.
the gran coupe had multiple items that set it above the other barracuda's. LIke premium interiors, roof consolette, buzzers and more lights.
The barracuda was the base model and had it's own set of options. All three models had different rocker moldings.
The barracuda and gran coupe could only be ordered up to an N code 383 4 barrel. No gran coupe's or barracuda's came with 440 or 426.
If you can document 1, that would be a record.

@Cojohnso , if you start a new thread I"m sure you can get a better description and not muddying up @JoeNY post.

That's one awesome Gran Coupe you have there JOE!!

Cojohnso

Reaction score
Quite a lot of difference's between a Gran Coupe and a Cuda as well as differences with the barracuda.
Options were the main difference between them.
Yes, body parts and drive train are interchangeable. So are the different options.
From the factory though there were many items that were only available on each of those models.
The cuda, not so much "more" options. Actually the Cuda usually received less options due to weight savings.
the gran coupe had multiple items that set it above the other barracuda's. LIke premium interiors, roof consolette, buzzers and more lights.
The barracuda was the base model and had it's own set of options. All three models had different rocker moldings.
The barracuda and gran coupe could only be ordered up to an N code 383 4 barrel. No gran coupe's or barracuda's came with 440 or 426.
If you can document 1, that would be a record.

@Cojohnso , if you start a new thread I"m sure you can get a better description and not muddying up @JoeNY post.

That's one awesome Gran Coupe you have there JOE!!
I just wanted to make sure. I have a V-code Cuda build. And sometimes parts come by fast. And one has to act fast. And I want to make sure that a different option '70 didn't mean different fit. But as you explained was same as what is my understanding.

Cojohnso

Reaction score
I just wanted to make sure. I have a V-code Cuda build. And sometimes parts come by fast. And one has to act fast. And I want to make sure that a different option '70 didn't mean different fit. But as you explained was same as what is my understanding.
You take like the Dodge E-body Challenger. Nothing is interchangeable but the windshield with Cuda's body?

moparleo

Reaction score
Not true, the door glass is also the same between the Challenger and Barracuda. The mechanicals are the same between the Gran Coupe and the other Barracuda's as well as the Challenger. With the exception of a 2" wheelbase difference, under the body it is all the same. They start out as the same base car and depending on the option sheet choices, everything else is added on.
All car manufacturers try to make as many mechanical things as interchangeable as possible. The things that you don't see. It just makes sense to have the same glass, dash assembly, drivetrain, suspension, brakes etc... to make it more economical to produce and take up less space for parts storage.

JoeNY

Reaction score
Howdy from Colorado.

Looks like 9C278361 Would most likely be a 1969 C body motor.

Is that grill you have the original Black oraginasol? Or has it been painted black in it's life time? Would the plastic happen to be black plastic on the rear?

Sweet ride! Is it EV2? Or go mango? Let's see some more info on that sweet ride you have there.
Someone sprayed the grille and the engine bay. Got to try soda blasting it when the time comes. EK2 Vitamin C. Originally a 383HP, 4 speed car. 1 of 341 from what I can tell.

Back