• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 plum crazy 4 speed rt field find.

spoolinhard

Reaction score
No pics, sorry. I've been buying chargers from a personal collection, there's about 13-14 challengers out in this field as well. All super rough, most wrecked/rotted missing parts 318 cars.
I noticed one shell painted black with rt stripes. Turns out it was originally a 383 4 speed plum crazy r/t with white side stripes and white vinyl top. Fender tag and dash tag are there. Interior is gutted other than dash frame. Has all glass, doors and decklid. Front k member is there. Few odds and ends, but mostly stripped out. Super rough, lots of rust, but restorable. If this can be picked up in the 2500-3500 range is it worth it? Theres also a good chance that I can purchase parts off the other cars and completed allot of it.

spoolinhard

Reaction score
A pic of the place for your consideration. I was busy pulling parts and didn't think to snap a pic of the rt

IMG_20190506_122032916.jpg

budascuda

Reaction score
That place is the HEAVEN!
You know it's hard to say anything without pics.
It basically comes down to what you consider fair.
But if you are excited about it and this is not your first rodeo then get busy.
After you make your purchase, could you please tell us the name of the business. I rather have original sheetmetal then repop, especially when no repop of what you are looking for is available.
At any rate, get us some pics and the guys will give you a good idea. Oh, and the best of luck!

Rich G.

Reaction score
Looks like a lot of good parts out there too.

jeff968

Reaction score
I would base it on the cowl and frame rails. If they are super rough then maybe not.

spoolinhard

Reaction score
That place is the HEAVEN!
You know it's hard to say anything without pics.
It basically comes down to what you consider fair.
But if you are excited about it and this is not your first rodeo then get busy.
After you make your purchase, could you please tell us the name of the business. I rather have original sheetmetal then repop, especially when no repop of what you are looking for is available.
At any rate, get us some pics and the guys will give you a good idea. Oh, and the best of luck!
It's not a business. It's a personal collection. It was difficult to get my foot in the door and build a repor. I'm going on about 8 years into that and am to the point where they will sell me what they don't need.

spoolinhard

Reaction score
Looks like a lot of good parts out there too.
Most of the body stuff is shot or would require work to use. There are some gems out there. Lots of interior and trim. I got a grill/bumper brackets for my 70 challenger along with a complete set of 70 buckets.

spoolinhard

Reaction score
I would base it on the cowl and frame rails. If they are super rough then maybe not.
The rear rails needed the back half replaced. The fronts looked useable. I'm sure the torsion support was shot, along with the floors/ rockers. Didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the cowl. I just thought it was too cool to be left to rot the way it was

Last edited:

spoolinhard

Reaction score
I'm more of a charger guy, I have a challenger but it's taken a back seat to my chargers. I know that if it were a 2nd get rt charger, there would be people lining up to pull it out of there and restore it. Just not sure the desireability of a challenger in this shape.

And to answer an early comment, no this is not my first rodeo and yes, I'm excited about it!

340challconvert

Reaction score
$2500-3000k would be, I think for a shell based on your description, a fair price.
Could be a good deal if you can get parts from the other cars to complete the RT.
Replacing all those missing parts gets pricey!
1972 Dodge Challenger Cuda Body 1970 1971 Plymouth Barracuda Cuda 440 426 Hemi | eBay
Here is a 72 Challenger shell that is for sale on flea bay for 2599. (high IMO)

A 70 RT (worth more then a 72) should be worth the price if it has a title, fender tag and some documentation.
Get as many missing parts; it would be worth it.
Good luck with your idea. Always great to save another RT.

Dino2 (1).gif

budascuda

Reaction score
"I'm more of a charger guy, I have a challenger but it's taken a back seat to my chargers."

So you might put it up for sale After you get it?

spoolinhard

Reaction score
I was unable to purchase this car. I only grabbed a couple crappy pics, because I moved on to other cars while I was there. It belongs to thier son. They have expressed to me that their son does not sell cars, so the car is there to rot into the ground I'm afraid. It's half way there now. Not much good left on it. Whoever stripped it did a good job of grabbing anything of value on it.

IMG_20190702_111000830.jpg

IMG_20190702_111009364.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
And at least someone hasn't grabbed that fender tag yet like what we have been talking about lately.

spoolinhard

Reaction score
And at least someone hasn't grabbed that fender tag yet like what we have been talking about lately.
The place is out in the sticks. The couple is almost always home and they have a large dog that is a ****

Good news is, is that I have managed to save another 70 r/t challenger out of the place. While it may not be a 4 speed it has some pretty cool options and needed to be saved. I Will create a thread on it after I pick it up.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I don't understand why they don't sell it if it is already stripped of anything of value wouldn't some money be better then a rusting body shell getting worst and worst until it gets to the point where nobody wants it. You speak of these people as though they are doing you a favour by letting you pay to take their junk away when the reality is they should be kissing your feet and trying to get rid of as much as you are prepared to take while there is still some value in it you are doing them a favour.

spoolinhard

Reaction score
I don't understand why they don't sell it if it is already stripped of anything of value wouldn't some money be better then a rusting body shell getting worst and worst until it gets to the point where nobody wants it. You speak of these people as though they are doing you a favour by letting you pay to take their junk away when the reality is they should be kissing your feet and trying to get rid of as much as you are prepared to take while there is still some value in it you are doing them a favour.

There is a mutual respect between the owners and I. They appreciate that I am purchasing cars/parts and I appreciate that they trust me enough to let me walk around and scope things out. It's definitely not common to find a collection like this, where cars/ parts can be purchased reasonably. They are nice people that thought enough to buy up a bunch of Mopars when they were worth scrap. The way I see it, even in poor shape, most of these cars wouldn't exist if they hadn't.

They aren't the ones that have a problem selling the car. If it had belonged to them, I believe that I would own it. The car belongs to thier son. They have told me that he does not sell cars; they said that he doesn't need money because he is well off and doesn't mind if the car sits there. They said that he has multiple nice restored cars, so really doesn't care about the rough ones. They said themselves that it was a shame...

budascuda

Reaction score
With some folks, owning a dream is enough,
they don't need a dream car in order to be happy or content.
I understand that....
material possessions are oft meaningless.

Back