• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 survivor cuda

JD 63

Reaction score
I have a survivor 1970 cuda and I was wondering what I can do to it before it looses survivor status.
The body is rust free mostly dent free except for rock chips and mall door dents.
It has a replacement Carter carburetor not its factory Holley and aftermarket mirrors.
It needs shocks,mufflers and resonators, I would like to put new brakes in it and water pump and do a rad rebuild and the front seats need recovered before I start driving it.
It doesn’t seem to have had many wrenches on it, so how far can I go before I loose survivor status and effect it’s selling price.

1BC851E7-FBC6-4919-B15C-534A74A9E135.jpeg

BD34AF56-FFD4-4361-9A62-DA763FCEB1B7.jpeg

05BA68F6-AC7C-42B5-A314-78215AD41228.jpeg

2C1DD42B-AFDE-418A-837C-732266A268AA.jpeg

C68A5EDE-4CB2-4D13-99D3-B078D95556F6.jpeg

248ACD77-81FB-4324-A8BF-BC6906F5547D.jpeg

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Replace the mufflers, resonators and shocks with NOS.
Keep the old parts in a box.
Brakes, simply need to be done. Buy nos.
Radiator has to be removed and recored but the original will go back in.
Have the water pump rebuilt. If the part can be fixed then fix it at all costs to keep it a survivor.
Seats aren't that surprising. Are they so bad that they can not be removed and restitched?
Don't touch that paint! It looks awesome!!

Can you load some pics of the interior, trunk and fender tag please?

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
JD,
You have not posted in awhile. Have you looked thoroughly for a broadcast sheet? I know you are missing the fender tag and have already checked the rear seat back but did you check the bucket seat backs or above the dash glove compartment insert? On a rare occasion, sheets have been found under the carpet as well.
Good luck, Los Angeles-built cars are less likely to have a broadcast sheet hidden away.

As for your questions...
If your goal is to keep this car as original as possible in all of its factory patina glory, then photograph everything before any changes and save everything you take off. Replacing most items such as shocks, mufflers/resonators, and safety items such as brakes are not going to hurt the car's status as long as you replace them with NOS or quality repro parts.
A replacement water pump for a 383 is not of great concern for value. Stash away the old one.
The radiator can be recored by Glen-Ray Radiator for a reasonable price.
New Legendary bucket seat covers would be preferred over ripped/torn originals as well.
I remember you needed to replace the aftermarket mirrors. Did you get a pair of factory chrome or painted mirrors yet? Is the aftermarket passenger's mirror hiding original Rivnuts to confirm the car came with a mirror on the passenger side? It looks like the aftermarket mirrors may have holes that could be an issue if the factory mirror bases do not cover them.

Your BS23N0E134463 car is going to draw a lot of interest at a car cruise or show. Cleanup, preservation, and select replacements/repairs for safety and drivability are all it really needs.

JD 63

Reaction score
It’s been a busy few yrs I’m wanting to get it gone through this winter so I can do some reliable cruising next summer

JD 63

Reaction score
Here are pictures of my exhaust that needs replacing, would you leave the original piping and just change the rear section, the resonator and muffler have the Chrysler numbers on them.
The rear diff needs to be resealed to clean it up and I’ll rebearing it at the same time, is there anything I should look for while it’s out? Any tricks to keep the teeth timed?
I can stumble through the diff rebuild but If there’s any alberta Canada Chrysler guys on the forum that could direct me to a good mechanic that can do a professional job on the differential let me know Thanks

EEDA8DE6-B1BD-498F-8FD0-6F0FB6D1ACA4.jpeg

4B9D693B-03FF-456D-99E7-879862F51B96.jpeg

930C3F5A-7C16-4AC3-8008-361FFC470899.jpeg

3F52A811-8B7A-4D28-88ED-C8440DB2B6B0.jpeg

moparlee

Reaction score
Lots of things in the engine bay are not what you would see on a survivor car. Replace the heater hoses, radiator hoses, radiator cap and overflow hose, plug wires, and battery cables with correct ones. Needs a battery hold down bracket.

JD 63

Reaction score
Yes I need to track this stuff down. Thanks for pointing all that out I’m sure there’s more of that. It didn’t become my brother’s until the late 70s so I don’t know it’s history and need to get this stuff back to original,so it’s good that you point it all out as I would consider some of this as original.
Where is a good site to get plugs wires and wire holders, rad hoses and cap
Thanks for the help

moparlee

Reaction score
Yes I need to track this stuff down. Thanks for pointing all that out I’m sure there’s more of that. It didn’t become my brother’s until the late 70s so I don’t know it’s history and need to get this stuff back to original,so it’s good that you point it all out as I would consider some of this as original.
Where is a good site to get plugs wires and wire holders, rad hoses and cap
Thanks for the help
Check out Roseville Mopar Parts in Michigan. There are also others.
Home | Roseville Moparts

There are some suppliers in Canada but I don't recall the names. Maybe someone else will chime in.

70SunFun

Reaction score
Replace the mufflers, resonators and shocks with NOS.
Keep the old parts in a box.
Brakes, simply need to be done. Buy nos.
Radiator has to be removed and recored but the original will go back in.
Have the water pump rebuilt. If the part can be fixed then fix it at all costs to keep it a survivor.
Seats aren't that surprising. Are they so bad that they can not be removed and restitched?
Don't touch that paint! It looks awesome!!

Can you load some pics of the interior, trunk and fender tag please?
I agree with Cuda Hunter. It's only original once.

Raycuda

Reaction score
Does anyone know if just touching up the scrapes and chips and then having a paint correction hurt the survivor status. It would still be more than 90% original paint.

JD 63

Reaction score
Here’s some trunk and rear seat pictures that Cuda Hunter asked for, I’ll get more pictures at a later date, the fender tag was removed and misplaced and is currently and most likely lost😣

B85B1C4B-8073-4795-A89B-5E4ECB141F21.jpeg

D72D34FE-9E95-41F3-B12F-DB021B56AA5B.jpeg

A91CFEA7-FB49-4AD8-ABC2-7A0EA39BAD07.jpeg

9C688B6F-0961-48F2-921E-C57B93C0F22E.jpeg

B023FEED-622F-45B4-B03C-E834CE5ECED3.jpeg

F07E6864-AEFB-480C-9DD2-1D9EF1E5580C.jpeg

70SunFun

Reaction score
If you're concerned about getting a fender tag, Backeast reproduces them. Since your car is pretty original you might want to take pictures of the options that are on the car. Contact Backeast and tell them your situation on the mostly original car but the fender tag is missing/misplaced. They might reproduce a tag for you with your pictures as proof of options and the car's originality. I've heard that some people have tried to add options that didn't come on their car from the factory so they could get those options put on the reproduced tag. A lot of changes and added options can happen to a car over 50+ years. Backeast can advise you. You've got a really nice mostly original 'Cuda!

gzig5

Reaction score
I'd fix the exhaust and drive it without fixing anything else. Definitely leave the paint and body alone. IMO the less it is messed with or "corrected", the better. But I'm sure opinions will vary. If you want to put a bunch of miles on or start playing around, get another car that is less original if you don't want to affect resale. It's your car though, do as you see fit. Tunnel ram would look cool sticking out of the hood...

moparlee

Reaction score
I'd fix the exhaust and drive it without fixing anything else. Definitely leave the paint and body alone. IMO the less it is messed with or "corrected", the better. But I'm sure opinions will vary. If you want to put a bunch of miles on or start playing around, get another car that is less original if you don't want to affect resale. It's your car though, do as you see fit. Tunnel ram would look cool sticking out of the hood...
I would have to disagree. Tires, entire brake system, and coolant system including radiator, water pump, and hoses probably need to replaced/repaired before you drive anywhere.

gzig5

Reaction score
I would have to disagree. Tires, entire brake system, and coolant system including radiator, water pump, and hoses probably need to replaced/repaired before you drive anywhere.
that goes without saying about any car that is intended to go on the road. I thought we were discussing restoration not getting it ready to drive.

moparlee

Reaction score
that goes without saying about any car that is intended to go on the road. I thought we were discussing restoration not getting it ready to drive.
Well you said, "I'd fix the exhaust and drive it without fixing anything else."

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fix what needs to be fixed. Survivor to me means it hasn't been restored. Until you restore it it will remain a "survivor" in my eyes regardless of what has been repaired on the car. In it's lifetime it could have had the exhaust repaired, a new water pump, alternator, battery or the like. It would still be considered a "survivor" even with some new or rebuilt parts installed. It doesn't need to be 100% original to be a survivor.

heminut

Reaction score
Fix what needs to be fixed. Survivor to me means it hasn't been restored. Until you restore it it will remain a "survivor" in my eyes regardless of what has been repaired on the car. In it's lifetime it could have had the exhaust repaired, a new water pump, alternator, battery or the like. It would still be considered a "survivor" even with some new or rebuilt parts installed. It doesn't need to be 100% original to be a survivor.
THAT right there!^^^^

Back