• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 TA

mowerman36

Reaction score
Have a 70 TA that was 90% rust free. The previous owner had done a good job of getting the car straight and painted it what appears to be early Camaro bright green. The car was originally Dark Green If I recall was F8? . I personally can't stand the old dark green and plan to paint the car a 70 mopar metallic blue. Thanks in advance.
Have found and built a TA engine and Torqueflite for the car. What are the pros and cons.
Mowerman36

Avalanche

Reaction score
If your talking pro and con about paint.
Then original color will equal more if your thinking resale at some point.
If your not thinking resale, then paint it whatever color you like and drive the hell out of it.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I think all low number special cars such as yours should be restored to original specification, the days of modifying them are well and truly over. And like Avalanche said if you ever need to sell it the buyer will want to subtract the cost of a complete colour change (back to original colour) paint job (not cheap) from the market value of the car or more likely just keep looking for a more original example. More experienced collectors will worry about the repaint turning into a full blown restoration depending what's found when the paint is removed. I would do it original and if it doesn't grow on you sell it and buy a blue AAR, a lot of people myself included love Ivy Green especially when it has the green trim.

rklein71

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the green either....some colors make a car more valuable. Green might be one of them that lowers the value down enough that painting it a better color might not impact the value that much. It is your car, your call. Rod

terrywalker

Reaction score
If the paint is in good shape, I'd get it running and drive it like it is for awhile to see if I really was going to keep the car. If it's a keeper, then make a color decision. Maybe you'll see another Mopar in the same original green and you'll like it. If not, paint it the color you want if you decide to keep it and drive it all the time. Gives you time to make an informed decision.

Adam

Reaction score
I agree with most of the comments. If you are going original, it should be factory color or the resale value will be down a bit. Especially given the expense of painting the eng compartment, trunk, bottom of the hood and trunk lid and door jambs, but I do love the 1970 B5 Blue.

If your car has a green interior that might also be a concern.

340challconvert

Reaction score
It has been said already; A car retains the most value when kept in stock condition, especially with something as valuable as a TA Challenger.
Hagarity says it best in their evaluation estimates "color makes a big difference in car Values" when measured against their proprietary values.

It is true that green is less popular generally when buyers bid on cars at the auctions. If it were me, I would go back to the stock color.
You also spent time seeking out a correct TA motor and trans to install. This will help with the car's value, though an original motor always boosts a car's price.
It really is about what is important to you. You could install the TA motor, and drive it with the non-original color and have some fun. You could change the color and enjoy it, but selling her down the line; you need to find a buyer ok with the color change.
At this stage, I would just build it the way you want it and enjoy.
Keep in mind that very few people recover monies put into a vehicle when they sell. If you keep it long term, that will matter less. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Dino2.gif

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
If done right; green can be a stunning color!
This is the picture of the car DetMatt posted as the A66 car for sale in Canada.
79554936_614.jpg

As a sidebar note; I was always a B-7 Blue fan myself!

Last edited:

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Cousin's '70 Hemi Challenger - looks pretty bad ass to me in green. I am always for original when restoring a pedigree car such as a T/A. But, like many others here have stated at the end of the day, it is your car. Do with it what you want...

Challenger 527 Hemi (71).jpg

rbbruno3

Reaction score
My first car was a 6 year old 70 Barracuda in F4 . I thought it was ugly then so I painted it some Brand X Green. Now I like it , I don’t think there is any color that looks bad on an Ebody. I would even take pink.:steering:

aussiemark

Reaction score
I think when new the buyer who would choose Ivy green would be a more mature owner and would treat the car with more respect then a person who would rather have a high impact colour and would have raced the car every chance possible at the strip or on the street. The stripe delete option was probably more common with colours like this kind of like walking quietly but still carrying a big stick, dadeo1852 your car is absolutely stunning.

Back