• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 Cuda Doors

Bad bones

Reaction score
Doing a complete restoration on a 1971 Cuda. Thought we could use the doors until we took the doorskins off... now I'm having a heck of a time finding door shells, because the original ones are rusted up too bad.
Anyone know where you can find door shells?

Adam

Reaction score
6C22DBCE-CE90-45C1-A4FE-3DCA69CF1ED3.jpeg
I also had a rusty door shell that I tried sandblasting without success. I was able to electrolytically derust it in a plastic trash can, one half at a time. Look at the bottom corner, there was heavy rust that the blaster couldn’t get to...

The process is simple and dirt cheap. All you need is a battery charger, a piece of re-bar or scrap iron, and some Soda ash which is sold at Home Depot in the swimming pool section to raise ph.

Look up “electrolytic rust removal instructables”

This process can be used on tools, nut & bolts, brackets, etc. but not springs. It makes them brittle.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I did the research years ago and found there were some aftermarket doors advertised on some sites but they were sold out and I found you can't get doors anywhere AMD and the others only do skins. Your best option is to try and find some good used doors and if you are lucky and patient you may find some that don't need the skins replaced. I found a pair off a 1973 for my 1970 and I think I will end up with window regulator issues when I go to use them but it is what it is. I think if the inner shell is badly rusted and you try and patch it by welding sections in the thing will buckle and the skin will never fit properly and you probably won't realize till you try and fit/adjust the door and after all the time and expense you have in it you will end up attacking it with a sledge hammer in a fit of rage. AMD really need to look at getting complete doors made up because the demand is certainly there, I would have bought a pair if they were available when I ordered all my AMD panels.

Last edited:

fastmark

Reaction score
I have lots of doors but shipping is a deal breaker in most cases. Being from Texas has its advantages with little to no rust on cars. Even ones that have sat outside. I removed a lot of doors, hoods and all the good sheet metal and stored them inside long ago. Now I’m taking some of those same parts and installing them back on the bodies to sell them. Most ebodies need rear quarters and a trunk. AMD has saved a lot of cars. The problem with buying a slightly rusty car is when you get all the obvious rusty panels off, you find more rust. I sold a car recently to a guy from the rust belt that owns a resto shop. He regularly replaces the complete back half of the car. I sent good pictures but pictures don’t show everything. I had the car on my lift when he drove up. He just stared in amazement and said he’d never seen a car with no rust! I think all the rust free stuff that is still left is a long distance from the guys that are building the cars. Good luck with your project.

quapman

Reaction score
Where are you located? You might try a Wanted ad here on the site.

rklein71

Reaction score
Shipping doors with Greyhound is probably the cheapest. I have shipped a door and fender together for around 100 bucks. Rod

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Had a cuda door shipped to me with Greyhound , price was very reasonable , no damage. Not sure how large they can accept.

Back