• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 Cuda Wheel Backspacing

Dutch 165

Reaction score
I picked up a set of Foose Legend wheels for my 71 Barracuda. The wheel sizes are 17x8 with 245 45 x 17 Nitto Extreme 555 tires for the rear and 17x7 with 235 x 45 x 17'' tires for the front. I installed the rear wheel / tire and measured 1 3/4 inches between the tire and the rear spring. All wheels have 4 1/2 inches of backspacing. The rear tire looks like it will rub on the inside of wheel house next to outside of body. Using simple math it seems that 3 inches of back spacing would leave 1/4 inch between the tire and the spring. The wheels don't look good sticking out of the body especially in the front. Does any one have any experience with this combo?

71solo2challenger

Reaction score
I have had no problems with 17x8s and 4.5 backspace in the back. I do on one occasion get a rub in the front. (chassis is cocked and wheels are locked left or right). But other than that it's smooth sailing.

051610b53.jpg

Cranky

Reaction score
Less back space means the wheels stick out more. If you have 1 3/4" clearance between the tire and spring with 4 1/2" back spacing, then you will have 3/4" clearance with 5 1/2" back space and more room on the outside of the tire for fender clearance but generally, an 8" wide wheel will not have 1 3/4" tire to spring clearance with the standard back space.

Dutch 165

Reaction score
I agree with the comment about the big wheels on an E body. I don't like the rubber band tire look either. I am getting a set of 17" Wheel Vintiques Chrysler 95 series wheels to replace the set of 15" rallye wheels that I was planning on using. I am asking questions to try to get it right the first time cause once the wheels ship they can not be returned. Just trying to get away from the stock rallye/BF Goodrich look. To Challenger340 what combo are you running on your e body?

cudablue

Reaction score
I just installed the 17" WV 95's on my cuda

Hey Dutch,
I just installed the 17" WV 95's on my cuda. Rear = 8" x 4.5 back spacing with Dunlop Direzza DZ101 (245/45R) and front = 7" x 4.25 back spacing with (225/50R). Perfect fit and plenty of room tire hight is the same.
These wheels look awesome.
I took it to the Columbus Mopar Nat. I could not find car, other than mine, that had these on. Check out my pics in the my gallery.

IMG_2891.jpg

IMG_2874.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

Dutch 165

Reaction score
Looks good!!

cudablue, Thanks so much for the reply and the pics, I first saw these wheels on a car that was for sale at RK Motors in Charlotte and fell in love with them. Can I ask where you bought them from and a general price. Did it take long for them to make them? Could you measure between the leaf spring and the tire. thanks again Dutch

Back