• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

72 Barracuda

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Just bought this car today and I am totally psyched! I will be finalizing the deal on Monday and post better pics,these are the ones the seller had in his ad so thats all I can share at the moment.Mostly original except for motor and tranny was 6 cyl originally now a 318.The build sheet is still under the seat!

Now I feel like I can really belong here.I will be asking a lot more questions now as this project progresses, so thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

3k53m83o95Y45P15S6a9b0fc8ddb266ed1b68.jpg

3k93o83l35V25U65X5a9b09c7a21e7ad512e5.jpg

3n83kd3ma5Y25W35X1a9be768a0bd83dd1bab.jpg

3n83me3o05W45P05R0a9bb5c4fe1abea51883.jpg

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
I caught me a fish! and I ain`t throwin this one back!

Well it arrived today and here are some better pics.Car came with original title,registration owners manual and build sheet,previous owner says there is another under rear seat he wrapped it up in a plastic bag for safekeeping.I`ll have to dig it out another day.Was is it common for them to have two build sheets?

59,000 miles on body,all original sheet metal minus the rear quarter work and the front valance which I think is beyond saving.The grill is absolutley mint!

Originally a 6 cyl auto. with a slap stick shifter.Is that rare for a six cyl car?
Photo of underside of trunk lid shows original color "I wont be repainting it that color anytime soon" it`s just not for me.

Engine a 318 w/automatic for now.

I`ll keep updating here as I progress!

100_1888.jpg

100_1891.jpg

100_1889.jpg

100_1896.jpg

100_1899.jpg

100_1898.jpg

100_1894.jpg

100_1897.jpg

100_1893.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Looks solid, is there some mud in the quarters?, can't tell from the pics. I agree on the color, not for me either, what color are you thinking?.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
No mud on the quarters far as I can tell. The quarters were replaced not the full quarter with the sail panel the other style. The seller really did a nice job with the bodywork.He removed all the sheet metal and lined up everything right on the money when he put it back.You can tell he didn`t just slap it back together quick to get rid of it.
I am thinking Sassy grass green with the blackout treatment on the top of the hood and fenders with the hockey sticks.Or maybe an A.A.R clone I know it`s not the correct year.How would that go over any opinions positive or negative would be welcome.
I have some other questions, so I`ll be asking them in the appropriate places.

burntorange70

Reaction score
Nice find. Congrats on your new car. Looks to be very solid. I like Sassy Grass and the black hood and hockey sticks look. The AAR look would be nice too. So it is not the correct year. It is your car, make it your own. Either way it will look good. Good luck on the build.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I agree with BurntO70 on this, either way would make for a great looker and you should do it the way you want it. A 4spd. conversion would be on my agenda.

ramenth

Reaction score
Make it your own. If an AAR clone is what you want, go for it. Looks like a nice solid project to start with without a lot of surgery right off the bat. Keep us posted with lots of pics! We like car ****!

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
work in progress

Just a few before and after pics of what I have done so far.Not looking to make this a show car,just a real nice car to drive and enjoy in the warm weather.I saved 3 out of the 4 rims I had and the center caps look a lot better but I still need to get a couple better ones with less pitting.Found a set of Cal-Custom valve covers on E-Bay didn`t turn out too bad for my first attempt at polishing.Kinda felt like I was makin chicken salad out of chicken sh*t with the rims and caps!:D Plus I forgot I have a set of like new Yokahama`s in my basement that will fit perfect!

resize.jpg

100_2149.jpg

100_2079.jpg

100_2082.jpg

000_1015.jpg

100_2175.jpg

000_1027.jpg

100_2169.jpg

100_1890.jpg

100_2176.jpg

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Congrats on your find. I think I remember seeing that listed for sale some where. It seemed like a pretty good deal. You progess so far looks good. The wife wants me to find here 73' Cuda one of these days.

marxfish

Reaction score
Wow, that's some great progress you're making. I'm glad to see you went the AAR route. Like it's been said, it's YOUR car, make it the way you want it. I always loved the look of the AAR 'cudas and even thought of going that way myself, but I have another plan in mind. Great job on the valve covers and rallyes... wow. They looks brand new. Any advice on how I can get the same results from my rallyes and center caps?? Thanks and keep up the great work.

racerkilla

Reaction score
wow nice, i see you found your aar hood... its the same route i'm going, nice job on everything so far..

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the compliments everybody I appreciate them!:) Marxfish for the valve covers all I did was go to sears and buy a couple of buffing pads and put them on my pedestal grinder.I removed all the guards for more access since it`s a cotton pad you wont tear your fingers off if they get in the way.I used the white and blue buffing rouges to polish with and a dremel tool for the tight spots.
For the rally rims sandpaper and a wire wheel on a hand grinder to take down the old paint and rust worked best.I did have to sandblast some real bad spots on one rim.Once you get it to where you want 2 coats primer 2 coats silver paint (I used rust-o-leum metallic from Lowes) and 2 coats clear (Kyrlon crystal clear satin is what I used but any kind will do) and you`re done!Most of the rim is hidden behind the center caps and trim rings so if it isn`t perfect in those spots not a big deal.
The trick with the center caps is to find some with no pitting/dings on the outside edge and center portion of cap.First I polished the outer edge and center first,then mask those areas off.Then sand all the old silver finish off I just used coarse sandpaper,small wirewheel and a drum sander on a Dremel tool it works well in the tight spots.Try to sand down any pitting as much as possible and use a finer sandpaper to smooth out any roughness from coarse sandpaper.I didn`t do this but you could probably use some filler to fill any holes from pitting for a real smooth surface.Double check the masking tape is still good,then just paint using same steps as the rims and thats it!
I am looking for one more rally rim 14 inch. I couldn`t save my fourth rim and a few more center caps to upgrade my pitted ones if anybody has any let me know?

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
a few more before and after pics

Mostly working on smaller items for now but they add up,plus it doesn`t cost hardly anything to clean them up!:D

100_2183.jpg

100_2188.jpg

100_2227.jpg

100_2228.jpg

100_2246.jpg

100_2261.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
Mostly working on smaller items for now but they add up,plus it doesn`t cost hardly anything to clean them up!:D

That's what I did all last winter. Garage that the car just barely fit into, no heat, so the small parts wound up on my basement work bench. And they hardly cost a thing to work on!

burntorange70

Reaction score
Looking good. Thats what I have been doing as well with my project. Get the smaller stuff done that cost little to nothing while saving up for the rest of the build. Keep up the nice work.

shadango

Reaction score
Looking good! I have a 72 as well......the shot of the vapor seperator tank near your gas tank intirgues me.....I dont have that.....my tank has the vapor seperator tank inside it.... ????

Back