• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

72 Challenger Rebuild

terrywalker

Reaction score
I did not realize I had not shared my latest project to rebuild. I got it from a friend who had bought a Hellcat Redeye and decided he would never rebuild this car. It was all apart except for the steering and 4 tires. He decided he would let me have it because he wanted to see it back on the road. It is originally a 318 auto car. Nothing special. I decided to rebuild it using my spare parts as much as possible. I had sold all my 72-74 Challenger parts and all I have left is 1970 and 1971 Challenger parts. It needed an entire front clip which I have from a 1970 Challenger. My grandson is helping me with this car when not doing school homework. He likes the 70 Challenger front end and the 72 tailights, so, we'll see how this goes. The only rusty areas this car has is a 1"by 2" spot behind the driver's side rear wheel and the hood hinge areas on the inner fenders. I replaced the sheet metal in both areas which took about 3 hours or so. I've rebuilt the heater box and am now working on redoing the dash and harness. My grandson want to switch it over to the pistol grip 4 speed. I have a transmission, bellhousing, complete shifter mechanism and shifter rods. I would need pedals and clutch and z-bar for the clutch. We'll see if we go that route. I have a rebuilt 360 I'm going to put in it. He wants to change it from yellow to red. So here we go. Here's some photos of it. I'm glad all floor pans are solid. The front had been hit but it's been professionally straightened on a frame rack before I got it. All good. Enjoy the photos.

Prestart 1B.jpg

Prestart 3B.jpg

PRESTART 8B.jpg

Prestart 9B.jpg

terrywalker

Reaction score
One hinge area repaired. The other side looks the same. Here's the fender tag.
TW

Inner Fender Psgr Side Hinge Area Repair.jpg

Fender Tag.jpg

terrywalker

Reaction score
I noticed this black spot on the bulkhead connector the other day and found out it was a melted area. I split the connector and you can see what I found. I'll be doing the connector bypass on the red from the starter relay and the black to the alternator. That's where I'm at now with this car.
TW

Bulkhead Connector 1B.jpg

Bulkhead Connector 4B.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
Looks like a really fun project for Grandpa and Grandson. And having a solid body to start with makes it better yet.

huggie

Reaction score
Terry I might have some of what you need. z-bar,72-74 grill, 72-74 fenders,383,even have 72-74 one piece fiberglass front clip if you want to go that route.please send reply (senior citizen lol trying to figure out these damn computers and i'm hoping I sent this right)

heminut

Reaction score
What a great project for you and your grandson. I am assuming that since he has so much input on where the build goes it will be his car? It sounds like he has a great plan and with you there to guide and help this is going to be awesome when it's done. I'm looking forward to watching this build as it plays out!

I have to say, I agree with your grandson on not going back with the original color! My 70 Cuda was pretty much the same color of yellow and there was no way I was going with that color. I painted mine F8 Green, the same color as my first Cuda.

terrywalker

Reaction score
@huggie Thanks for your response. I might be interested in the z-bar you have if the shipping from Canada isn't a killer. My grandson prefers the 70 Challenger front end over the 72 Challenger front end and he likes the 72 taillights. Please, Let me know what other parts you have available.
@heminut He helped me on a 74 Charger Rallye which I gave him. I have a feeling he may want to trade me the Charger for the Challenger when this is done. We'll see. Below is a photo of the Charger taken in September.
Terry W.

Charger Challenger Sept 2022 -3.jpg

Last edited:

huggie

Reaction score
Terry let me go through my pile of stuff that might fit your challenger project.what's your zip code?(dont see any palm trees in photo so I don't think your in florida)and you are right shipping costs are crazy. I wanted to send a $1000 motor to a kid in san diego they wanted $2700 to ship it.I told them for that much money I could put the motor in my truck and drive it to chile(old and grumpy lol)

huggie

Reaction score
I went through my pile. have a flex plate and dust cover for sb auto (out of 1972 340 demon),z-bar for 4speed, have decent rear seat and seat back out of 71 challenger(black),bb headers for e body,440 intake from 68 gtx,383 motor mounts,challenger gas cap,two sets of 383 pistons and rods if you go that route.I can send photos of whatever you like in my pile.

Mike73Dodge

Reaction score
Terry
I am "Finished" with my 73 restoration. I have lots of pics and some parts that might be useful. PM me if you need anything, and I will see what I have. Only get online here every so often so be patient. Here is a few before and after pics of mine.

DSC_9302.JPG

DSC_11977.JPG

2023 Finished outside View 3D.jpg

Buckminster

Reaction score

blubyou340

Reaction score
TW

View attachment 102644

View attachment 102645

TW

View attachment 102644

View attachment 102645
Youve still got a long road you and your grandson will have fun together no matter what you come up with thats cool every night when you go to bed youll think about lots of changes. That's the fun part looks li you have good bones to start with 70 front and 71 rear tails would look cool have fun and patients my grand son is coming over and were gonna work on my chall too!!!!

terrywalker

Reaction score
Update. I was able to get a 1970 R/T hood for next to nothing. The hood has problems. Lots of body filler in it. It looked like it had a crease in the passenger's side at one time and someone drilled a few holes to try and pull it out and brazed the holes in. They also used a piece of metal brazed in to cover each hood pin hole and the DODGE letter holes. I'm trying to save the hood. I welded over 100 pins to pull the dents. It's like someone used a ball peen hammer on it on the passenger side. The hood is worth saving. With all filler over the entire hood, moisture got under it and caused light pitting so I'm going to neutralize the rust on the entire surface and then use waterproof stranded fiberglass filler on required areas. Other body work is close to being done. Engine compartment is almost ready for color paint. Including the rebuilt engine and trans and the cost of the car, I'm into it at slightly over $5.5k. Carpet, headliner, soft body seals and gaskets along with trim has been bought. It's going well. I'm selling spare parts to help finance this project. I'm still considering switching it to a 4 speed. We'll see. I did weld the frame bracket in for the ball pivot if I go with a 4 speed.
Terry W.

Hood Studs 3.jpg

Front End 1.jpg

terrywalker

Reaction score
Painted the engine compartment in the red my grandson likes. I have my reservations with this color.
Terry W.

engine bay.jpg

blubyou340

Reaction score
I personally have never beena red kinda guy oh paint looks great .for me its for fire trucks. Im more suttle

Back