• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

72 challenger suspension questions

Clueless72

Reaction score
I finally got my car settled its a 72 hardtop w a 360 and some engine mods, and it has some suspension issues right away, which i was planning on replacing with aftermarket stuff anyways so it's fine w me. i already ordered a set of bushing from energy suspension as some of the old stuff was worn anyways. I'm looking to really lower my challenger a lot and of course it could use some improved drivability. I figure i'll get the firm feel steering box as mine isn't doing so well anyways and i've heard good things about it. My real confusion comes when i start trying to figure out what to do w the suspension. so far i'm leaning toward the magnum force front coil over conversion w either their adjustable upper control arm and the added lower ball joint or the qa1 setup that comes w the lower ball joint. i just am not sure if this really is just . a conversion even though it says it is. i also figured i'd get the street lynx setup for the back. is this all money well spent or would i just be better off getting the hotchkis suspension kit w the leaf springs and torsion bars and a bunch of sway bars etc. i'm not sure it will let me adjust the height of the car and i'm not sure it will really sit much lower. i'm looking to add 20s to the car once the suspension is setup to my liking. when i start looking into all this its like over load and my head starts to spin. there really are no clear answers that i've found. thanks in advance :D

moparleo

Reaction score
If you are really intent on doing this to your Challenger, and have lots of money to spend, take it to a shop that specializes in doing advanced suspension modifications. Not for the home DYIer.

Clueless72

Reaction score
If you are really intent on doing this to your Challenger, and have lots of money to spend, take it to a shop that specializes in doing advanced suspension modifications. Not for the home DYIer.
I was not going to do the work myself :D

moparleo

Reaction score
Really, I would check into suspension shops. I don't know where you live but most major cities have them and on line. Check into some of the Car magazines that have a lot of modded cars and check the advertiser and business sections for leads to call.

aussiemark

Reaction score
If you want to DIY keep the changes to a minimum just upgrade the original parts don't change the design. I have read that most of that coil front end stuff is just for drag racing and not as strong as the OEM parts for long term street use. If you want to lower the front of the car maybe look at drop spindles rather then lowering the ride height by backing off the torsion bars. Low cars crush their exhaust and k frames on kerbs and speed humps I grew out of that scene a long time ago.

Clueless72

Reaction score
If you want to DIY keep the changes to a minimum just upgrade the original parts don't change the design. I have read that most of that coil front end stuff is just for drag racing and not as strong as the OEM parts for long term street use. If you want to lower the front of the car maybe look at drop spindles rather then lowering the ride height by backing off the torsion bars. Low cars crush their exhaust and k frames on kerbs and speed humps I grew out of that scene a long time ago.
i haven't heard that about the coil over conversion. i really didn't have any info on it. i guess i'll have to do some more research on it. i've lots of lowered cars, i know the deal w them and i still love the look of it and haven't grown out of that like you.

Danny Boy

Reaction score
A friend purchased a tube frame w/ coils on all wheels to replace OEM frame on his 56 Belair(very nice vehicle).
Paid $12K just for the frame.
He regrets the conversion as his vehicle now has 3" of travel vs 7" travel.
Suspension unpleasant especially w/ bridge expansion joints.
Not a fun car to drive.

Clueless72

Reaction score
so i ordered some things today and hopefully it goes well. I got the drop spindles from magnum force w the adjustable control arms and lower ball joints. i got an energy suspension bushing kit and i got summit racing rear lowering leaf springs w a mopar performance spring relocation kit and a pair of viking alumin shocks. if anyone can think of anything vital i missed.... i've been considering a k member as well but not 100% yet. thought i'd drive it a bit and see. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Clueless72

Reaction score
also got ont he list for a firm feel rebuild on my steering box. i'm hoping to be able to fit 20's on teh car when it's lowered without it rubbing too bad and not sure what width tires i could fit.... any info :D

Cudafor36

Reaction score
I have the firm feel stage 3 box, their upper control arms and their front tubular sway bar. What a freaking difference. I can lay down a corner like no other. It's wonderful. After 36yrs driving it with stock parts I was used to slowing down now I look to maintain or speed up into curves. Outstanding. No coil over needed imo.

Clueless72

Reaction score
I have the firm feel stage 3 box, their upper control arms and their front tubular sway bar. What a freaking difference. I can lay down a corner like no other. It's wonderful. After 36yrs driving it with stock parts I was used to slowing down now I look to maintain or speed up into curves. Outstanding. No coil over needed imo.
thank you :D very much appreciate the information. i'm thinking i'm gonna see how the car feels w what i got and then probably add some sway bars as well :D

BSG

Reaction score
I put a xv motorsports front end in my car and its looks great probably will work great one day and set me back about 7500, 8k. It just really killed the build with all the stuff that needed to be done, power steering pressure hoses customization of the steering column and that's just a few of the setbacks. Some times less is best, even someone like myself that deals with auto repair on a daily basis. If I had to do again I'd go with Hotchkis Sport Suspension, I used them on my elco and was impressed with the ease of install and the obvious handling improvement..

Clueless72

Reaction score
I put a xv motorsports front end in my car and its looks great probably will work great one day and set me back about 7500, 8k. It just really killed the build with all the stuff that needed to be done, power steering pressure hoses customization of the steering column and that's just a few of the setbacks. Some times less is best, even someone like myself that deals with auto repair on a daily basis. If I had to do again I'd go with Hotchkis Sport Suspension, I used them on my elco and was impressed with the ease of install and the obvious handling improvement..
i didn't really want to get that carried away, without at least trying a less expensive option first. i considered the hotchikis suspension for a while but a lot of my suspension parts need to be replaced anyways so i figured it made sense to replace them w quality performance parts. I'm really curious to see how the coil over conversion kit from magnum force works out. probably most excited to get the steering box rebuild from firm feel, as it'll be real nice to not have it feel so sloppy. then some bigger wheels and tires.

70Barracuda

Reaction score
I went firmfeel everything except sway bar and steering box, (next) 1.03's boxed LCA's, UCA 's Bilsteins, adjustable struts, the big rebuild kit, urethane. Did it all myself, no biggie. I also put in the Streetlynx in back. Thats a simple install too

I need new seats!

Clueless72

Reaction score
I went firmfeel everything except sway bar and steering box, (next) 1.03's boxed LCA's, UCA 's Bilsteins, adjustable struts, the big rebuild kit, urethane. Did it all myself, no biggie. I also put in the Streetlynx in back. Thats a simple install too

I need new seats!
I thought about the streetlynx and opted out at the last second. i ddin't spend much on leaf springs nad shocks so if it isn't enough for me i may go the same route. I've been thinking about seats too, the stock seats are real clean and interior is fresh but the seats just don't hold oyu in place at all. I just hate to change the stock w it being so nice.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Just tighten the seat belt and put your knee against the door panel this will stop your head hitting the window until the tyres break traction works well. Stick with torsion bars they are superior to coils that's why Mopars were so much better leave the coils for suckers in their Camaros and Mustangs the only advantage coils have is they give you more room for headers.

Last edited:

Clueless72

Reaction score
Just tighten the seat belt and put your knee against the door panel this will stop your head hitting the window until the tyres break traction works well. Stick with torsion bars they are superior to coils that's why Mopars were so much better leave the coils for suckers in their Camaros and Mustangs the only advantage coils have is they give you more room for headers.
already bought em... soooo.... guess i'm the sucker :( not so much into your seating idea though :p i also wanted the adjustability of the coil overs as well, but i assume i could've done that with some aftermarket torsion bars too. o well... now we get to find out how they go when they finally get here. seems like magnum force takes for ever before they ship their stuff out.

aussiemark

Reaction score
As a mechanic I am amazed how many manufacturers are now using torsion bars they are in things like Toyota Hiace vans and most new Japanese pick up trucks as well as a lot of buses Chryslers patent on the design must have expired now they all seem to be jumping on the band wagon. The package you bought should work well, the improvement will probably have more to do with the geometry of the control arms rather then the springs themselves. Just keep an eye on all the joints I've heard these are not as robust as the OEM stuff.

Clueless72

Reaction score
As a mechanic I am amazed how many manufacturers are now using torsion bars they are in things like Toyota Hiace vans and most new Japanese pick up trucks as well as a lot of buses Chryslers patent on the design must have expired now they all seem to be jumping on the band wagon. The package you bought should work well, the improvement will probably have more to do with the geometry of the control arms rather then the springs themselves. Just keep an eye on all the joints I've heard these are not as robust as the OEM stuff.
lol, well now everone tells me to get torsion bars :p sheesh... always after you order the stuff too. $700 i think i paid for the magnum force conversion :p i don't even think they shipped em yet, maybe i should just see if i can get em on the phone cancel em and get torsion bars? but then i'd need shocks too... doubt i'd save much but if it's a better route maybe that makes sense. i really didn't know how difficult it is find things and information on these old mopars. thanks for the finormation though, i really do appreciate it a lot. everyone here has been so helpful, this is a great forum.

Back