• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

'72 'Cuda Alternator / Washer Pump Wiring Question

Newell33

Reaction score
http://[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Newell33/media/IMG_1198_zpsgciezmp5.jpg.html][ATTACH=full]42450[/ATTACH]Hi Guys. New member here. My wife picked up a 'Cuda project car about 3 years before I met her. I'm now going through it and cleaning up a lot of the loose ends. The VIN says it was originally a 1972 340 car. It now has a 360 with Edelbrock intake and Holley 4bbl. When cleaning up the alternator wiring harness I noticed a loose dark blue wire. The wire had a female connector inline about 3/4 of the way towards the end. After the connector, the wire turns to blue with a white stripe. The alternator had a green wire connected to one field terminal, and a brown wire connected to the other. I knew something wasn't right, so I decided to dig into the wiring diagrams on mymopar.com. The car has a 4 prong ballast resistor, and the wiring more closely resembles the diagram for the '73 model, which was odd. The '73 diagram shows a blue wire and a green wire to the alternator field terminals. There is no brown wire shown except going to the washer pump. The washer pump and horns are missing on the car, so maybe the previous owner was confused. Can anyone tell me if I should in fact connect the blue and green wires to the field terminals, and extend the brown over to the washer pump once I find and install one? Is the brown wire normally run along the alternator harness from the factory?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
[ATTACH=full]42823[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_1198_zpsgciezmp5.jpg
    IMG_1198_zpsgciezmp5.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_1198_zpsgciezmp5.jpg
    IMG_1198_zpsgciezmp5.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,557
Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
Yes, blue and green wires go to the alternator; brown goes to washer pump. But you should check. It is easy enough to trace the wires back to their origins to be sure.

quapman

Reaction score
What Adam said.

Blue is hot (+) when the key is on. It should also be connected to that electric choke on the carb.

Newell33

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, guys. The discrepancies in the wiring diagrams and wire colors from year to year made me think twice before going any further. I appreciate the help.

Cratos

Reaction score
any chance you know where I can get a fan blower motor resistor block for a factory a/c car? mine snapped in 3 parts.

Back