• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

72 Cuda rides like a 2 ton truck

Lee W.

Reaction score
72 cuda 440. ride height from rear bumper to slab 21" same on both sides. 17" rim, 255/45 zr17. pulled bottom of shock, it dropped down about 6" Jacked shock up only went 1" above ride height. looked on summit they have different shocks for Cuda than Barracuda. WHY? MY question is do I need different shocks or my springs shot ?. shocks sit at 17" from mounting bolt to mounting bolt. Thanks for your help.

cuda joe

Reaction score
the tires won;t make a difference if you;r happy with the ride hieght get shorter shocks or get springs that bring it up 2 inches I had this problem called the shock people and told them the distance between the upper and lower mount points they hooked me up rides great now

cuda joe

Reaction score
i got viking shocks from pst you get a discount for being a member of this form

moparleo

Reaction score
Check the upper and lower mounts for bends or damage first, then proceed.
Unless the car has the stock suspension and new, factory spec springs, your rear ride height numbers are really meaningless.
Just like front ride height numbers. The factory only did it one way. Stock/stock/stock.
Otherwise you need to disconnect your shocks and raise the body, letting the rear axle hang loose.
When the tires clear the ground, measure the distance between the mounting studs. That is your extended length.
Now lower the car and put weight in the trunk until the rear axle bottoms on the upper frame rubbers. Re-measure. This is your collapsed length.
The difference is the actual stroke of the shock absorber.

These are the numbers you will use to shop for the proper fitting shock for your particular car.
The shock companies have a chart which has the extended and collapsed measurements on their shocks as well as the mounting types.
But no car with a 45 series tire will ever have a "good ride" .
You tires and rims will just love potholes. Bent rims and pinched sidewalls are in your future...

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Check the upper and lower mounts for bends or damage first, then proceed.
Unless the car has the stock suspension and new, factory spec springs, your rear ride height numbers are really meaningless.
Just like front ride height numbers. The factory only did it one way. Stock/stock/stock.
Otherwise you need to disconnect your shocks and raise the body, letting the rear axle hang loose.
When the tires clear the ground, measure the distance between the mounting studs. That is your extended length.
Now lower the car and put weight in the trunk until the rear axle bottoms on the upper frame rubbers. Re-measure. This is your collapsed length.
The difference is the actual stroke of the shock absorber.

These are the numbers you will use to shop for the proper fitting shock for your particular car.
The shock companies have a chart which has the extended and collapsed measurements on their shocks as well as the mounting types.
But no car with a 45 series tire will ever have a "good ride" .
You tires and rims will just love potholes. Bent rims and pinched sidewalls are in your future...
I agree with Moparleo. Myself I would beg or borrow a set of wheels and tires that have more sidewall. and go for a ride. lower sidewalls give you better handling at a trade off. It's a mater of preference. I would do this before spending $$$! wait! Then spend more $$$$!

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The spring have an arch and carry the weight.The shocks are not designed to. Hence shock.Rockauto screen shot.

Screenshot 2022-09-14 at 10-20-10 More Information for GABRIEL 82131.png

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If the shocks only have 1" of upward travel then the shocks you have are too long , as above measure the extended & collapsed distance & find a shock that has that range .

Lee W.

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your help I have a car show this weekend. Will get the measurements I need next weekend.

Back