• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

72 Rallye interior light questions

Crossram413

Reaction score
I have no interior lighting. I bought the car a month ago and did the instruments and seat covers first - done and good with help from you all.
As I look at wiring diagrams I see there is supposed to be a map light, courtesy lights, ignition light which I can't see locations for in my car. Can anyone help me figure out where these lights were located? maybe some pics? I suspect the crappy dash cap and headliner replacement work is the cause.

Crossram413

Reaction score
I have no interior lighting. I bought the car a month ago and did the instruments and seat covers first - done and good with help from you all.
As I look at wiring diagrams I see there is supposed to be a map light, courtesy lights, ignition light which I can't see locations for in my car. Can anyone help me figure out where these lights were located? maybe some pics? I suspect the crappy dash cap and headliner replacement work is the cause.

I should say that my immediate concern is that the light bar and dome light don't work. I need the light bar for sure. The other lights can wait. I think shabby work previously may have screwed up the whole circuit.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You should have power at the dome light all the time , it plugs in on the driver side C pillar in the trunk , the circuit is switched through the grounds at the door & light switch dimmer , often a single contact bulb is inserted in the dome light shorting the circuit & blowing the fuse , so check the fuse & power at the socket & make sure the bulb is a dual contact bulb .
The dash lights are connected to the orange tri plug above the radio , that circuit is controlled by the dimmer on the switch panel , you can jump the dimmer to test the circuit , if so the dash dimmer switch is bad . JS Restorations can help with a rebuilt dimmer if needed .
Do you have the AO1 light pkg , the map light is usually under the glove box near the vent cables ?

Crossram413

Reaction score
Thanks - working my way through the first steps...
What does the AO1 light package consist of? Map and courtesy? Timed delay?

Crossram413

Reaction score
So I found that the driver door switch wiring was bad. With that fixed I have the dome light and annoying key-in buzzer working.

At the dimmer switch there is no power in the tan wire. With headlights turned on, jumping from them to the tan and to the double yellow I still get no light bar action.

I see the connector above the radio you mention, with 4 wires ... 2 orange, a red with white tracer, and a black. that connector is not hooked to anything. From the wiring diagram, orange seems to be where I need to get power.

All help is appreciated. This is not my strong suit.
Doug

Crossram413

Reaction score
The connector mentioned above reads 12V on the black and red/tr, but 2 or 3 V on the orange. I'm guessing a bad or corroded bulb or connection??? Maybe one or more of the light bar bulbs?

Crossram413

Reaction score
The connector mentioned above reads 12V on the black and red/tr, but 2 or 3 V on the orange. I'm guessing a bad or corroded bulb or connection??? Maybe one or more of the light bar bulbs?

Psycho, thanks for the help!
The unconnected 3 or 4 volt orange I mentioned is a dimmed circuit. Prob the map and glovebox light option. I'm going to connect the bar light and shifter light to that connector and should be good.

Back