• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

727 Has to build Pressure

BubbaJ

Reaction score
My 73 Challenger, 340, 727 AT has to sit and build pressure before she will start to move. I am I looking a rebuild or band adjustment?

Thanks

Steve340

Reaction score
Is this from first start or all the time? I think a 727 left in Park does not circulate oil. Mine at cold start does this then it is fine when shifted in to reverse. I sometimes shift it to Neutral for 30 seconds and then back to reverse and it does not do it.
I thought this was "Standard"
Someone who knows more will hopefully reply.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree there is no pressure in Park , it will not be a band adjustment , tq converter could be draining down & taking a few seconds to refill .

moparleo

Reaction score
If it only happens after sitting overnight it is often called " morning sickness". Sometimes convertor drain back but usually just older seals that will soften up when the fluid is warmed up.
Just let the engine warm up as it should and have the trans in neutral as it warms up.
Problem solved until rebuild time.

BubbaJ

Reaction score
Thanks all for the fed back. I ma aware of no fluid circulating when in park. Yes this is from the first start of the day so I have started, starting the car in Neutral to get the fluid flowing and that seemed to help especially after I let her warm because she is a cold natured girl. Was wondering since the car sat for a few years since I got her. As far I as I know the trans has not had any major maintenance completed on it. I plan to do a fluid and filter change on it this weekend

Steve340

Reaction score
Sounds similar to mine and not a lot to worry about. It may not be 100% but it is still going.

BubbaJ

Reaction score
Once she gets going she runs like a scolded dog

Adam

Reaction score
A shift kit may help quite a bit. Transgo advertises their kit reduces converter drain back. I recently put the same kit in an 89 Ramcharger that was beyond sloppy; it helped tremendously. Fairly cheap, and diy compatible. The kit comes with a new filter too.
I used to have to put it in neutral for 20-30 seconds if it had been sitting, not now. And the shifts are better too.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I don't believe in snake oil! Only thing I personally seen work is seafoam trans tune. try it's cheap. Dodge Dakota delay moving when put into drive. I don't know if the 727 also has a in line cooler check valve? Nick's garage has a good video on the tear down of the 727. He mentioned that if the seals in side were bad it won't build pressure. a filter change might be due.

Back