• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

727 Help needed

yellowkeebler

Reaction score
Is there a best year 727 that I can look for to match up to a recently acquired 340 (1970 casting) block. The car is going to be setup with the six pack and an 8 3/4 rear end. I dont havethe original tranny so I'm looking for a replacement and I thought I would upgrade if that's possible. I intend on adding a shift kit to the tranny for a more aggressive shift but not enough to make the car undriveable on the street. It will not be run at the strip.

transman

Reaction score
I'd look for a 340/360 small block transmission, with the 360 easier to find I'm sure than one for a 340. Any small block 727 (make sure it's a non lockup unit) and you'll be fine. I presume you're junk yard hunting so most transmissions found there will need to be rebuilt. Do a complete rebuild, bushings, thrust washers, bands, friction and steel plates, gasket overhaul kit and go from there. For a shift kit, the Transgo TF-2 is a good choice. Just follow the instructions to the letter. I don't know what you're thinking on for a converter, but if you send me a private email, I'll email you a form back to you for ordering/getting your converter. Get the converter from you preferred supplier, but if you're not asked the questions as laid out on the form, the supplier knows how to sell, but probably little on getting you the RIGHT CONVERTER FOR YOUR APPLICATION, or much about converters period.

Last edited:

my71

Reaction score
I just found a 72 cornet 4 door 318 in a scap in tor ont you need parts let meet know yes it 's a 727

yellowkeebler

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info. I found a 76 valiant that is a pre-lock up and I'll end up getting that for the time being. I really appreciate the info on the shift kit.

STXCuda

Reaction score
I second everything that transman said. The transgo shift kits are in my opinion the best engineered kits.

yellowkeebler

Reaction score
Ok, now my father wants to use a 904 from a 92 dodge van. He claims he can get it for practically nothing and it has overdrive. The car has an original 8 3/4" rearend with the suregrip. I don't remember the gear ratio. Anyone out there try this before and been successful? Any help would be appreciated.

moparleo

Reaction score
It would be an A500 trans , not a 904. The proper trans for a 340 would be the A518. But be WARNED, this conversion requires modifying and/or fabricating the external transmission case, transmission tunnel, shifter linkages, torsion bar tunnel, driveshaft, Cooling lines and cooler ( larger diameter) and more. Not for the novice fabricator.

Back