• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

727 not shifting through gears

Joseph paul

Reaction score
Hey guys , just bought a new car with a 440 mated to a 727 , the car drives but dosent go through the gears , feels like its stuck in second or first, dosent shift manually too , it's got a aftermarket B&M pistol grip cable operated Pro shifter , i can shift the lever manually by hand to all gears , the cable is far too long , its routed to go around the transmission oil pan one whole round before it comes to the linkage , could that be causing it? im not sure its a manual valve body or not? it has no kickdown ?maybe a auto/manual valve body?

carb.png

trans.png
original_b86375ba-ea39-40cf-9277-ac5a94471d16_Screenshot_20230517_170126_Chrome.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Ok the long cable is normal , they just don't have short ones & you have to tie it up well to prevent it getting burnt on the exhaust .
If it has no kickdown either the trans is being damaged driving it or it has a manual valve body .
Your message is confusing , you say it doesn't go through the gears & feels like it is stuck in a gear , but you also say you can manually shift into all gears . If you get different rpm as you move the shifter into all 3 forward gears then the trans is working but has to be manually shifted , if it won't shift & is stuck in 1 gear no matter where the shifter is moved to then there is a problem inside the trans assuming you are going fast enough to feel the rpm difference as you change gears .

Joseph paul

Reaction score
Ok the long cable is normal , they just don't have short ones & you have to tie it up well to prevent it getting burnt on the exhaust .
If it has no kickdown either the trans is being damaged driving it or it has a manual valve body .
Your message is confusing , you say it doesn't go through the gears & feels like it is stuck in a gear , but you also say you can manually shift into all gears . If you get different rpm as you move the shifter into all 3 forward gears then the trans is working but has to be manually shifted , if it won't shift & is stuck in 1 gear no matter where the shifter is moved to then there is a problem inside the trans assuming you are going fast enough to feel the rpm difference as you change gears .
I meant I can shift the shifter lever by hand into all gears but when I shift the trans it does not go into gear all the time .....

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
OK so could be a problem in the adjustment of the cable or possibly the valve body inside .

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It can be difficult , the 727 has a longer throw between Reverse & Park with the other gates being equal , the only shifter I am aware of that fixes this correctly is the Cheetah

Blaze74

Reaction score
It can be difficult , the 727 has a longer throw between Reverse & Park with the other gates being equal , the only shifter I am aware of that fixes this correctly is the Cheetah
I agree with you on the Turbo Action Cheetah Chryco! My Auto-Manual early series Cheetah shifts great. 3.55 gear and a little throttle you better have it pointed in a straight line when it catches 2nd. No delay in shift points.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Without kickdown linkage, you'll find out soon enough if it's not a fully manual valve body. Especially with a 440. X3 on the Cheetah shift cable. It's the next best to stock shift linkage.
Personally I'd drain the fluid, drop the pan and checkout the valve body. If it doesn't have the circled detent valve, it's manual. I hate "unknowns".

20230706_161845.jpg

pschlosser

Reaction score
Early in my more naive driving history, I'm pretty sure the 727 TF I cooked and ruined was a result of driving a vehicle without the kick down linkage installed. I can't say for sure, but my instinct was the throttle pressure not only varies the hydraulic pressure(s) within the transmission valve body, buy may also be essential to proper lubrication.

Joseph paul

Reaction score
hey guys got a new fitech unit - 600 HP 30005- in tank fuel pump

she starts up great, idles great and runs great , the issue i cant figure out is that if i drive for extending period of time ( highway driver etc ) she stalls to stall while coming to a stop in gear , if i shift to neutral she picks up but if i come to a stop in gear she stalls ? any pointers on where to start ?

Xcudame

Reaction score
When you shift to neutral, there is less parasitic drag from the transmission, so the engine's rpm will increase. What is your idle rpm? In park and in drive? I like to touch bumpers with my 89 Cummins to check my idle in drive. Not moving that beast!

Joseph paul

Reaction score
When you shift to neutral, there is less parasitic drag from the transmission, so the engine's rpm will increase. What is your idle rpm? In park and in drive? I like to touch bumpers with my 89 Cummins to check my idle in drive. Not moving that beast!
850 idle , 650-80 in gear, I'll try increasing it mate

Xcudame

Reaction score
You're not stock anymore, so another 50 rpm might cure your problem. Just don't want to go too much.

Back