• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

727 Transmission differences between 426 vs 440

193rdsow

Reaction score
A friend and I are in the process of rebuilding a 727 tranny to put behind a 426 hemi. This is a stock rebuild. What is different in a 727 for a hemi vs a 440 vs a 440 six pack? The Mopar parts catalog for 1970 show very few differences. Any help would be appreciated!

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Get a short shaft motor home trans. Most people toss them. They have the same internals as a Hemi trans. Rebuild it with the long tail shaft from another 727 and you are ready to go.

193rdsow

Reaction score
Get a short shaft motor home trans. Most people toss them. They have the same internals as a Hemi trans. Rebuild it with the long tail shaft from another 727 and you are ready to go.
Great info thanks!

transman

Reaction score
If my failing old memory serves me correct, the front drum and front band, are a HEMI only items. The front band is NOT SOLID, but a split band. Hard to get unless you've got a rebuildable core. The band is wider and so is the drum.

It is known as a double wrap band, and according to their website, Alabama band still lists it. Their part number 54999R. The parts supply company I used to work for had them reline these bands, but rule #1 was your old band had to be rebuildable. If it was, other than needing to be relined, damaged in anyway, we wouldn't sell you the band we had in stock. The reason for this was a lack of good band cores available anywhere.
440's in cop pursuit vehicles and the motors homes (I think) used what is called a solid band(cast iron core). It is the same width as the normal TF 727 flex band.

Last edited:

193rdsow

Reaction score
If my failing old memory serves me correct, the front drum and front band, are a HEMI only items. The front band is NOT SOLID, but a split band. Hard to get unless you've got a rebuildable core. The band is wider and so is the drum.

It is known as a double wrap band, and according to their website, Alabama band still lists it. Their part number 54999R. The parts supply company I used to work for had them reline these bands, but rule #1 was your old band had to be rebuildable. If it was, other than needing to be relined, damaged in anyway, we wouldn't sell you the band we had in stock. The reason for this was a lack of good band cores available anywhere.
440's in cop pursuit vehicles and the motors homes (I think) used what is called a solid band(cast iron core). It is the same width as the normal TF 727 flex band.
Thanks trans man. I also learned that the 2 1/2” drum tended to wear out bands fairly quickly due to the fact that the band was offset and rubbed.

Back