• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

727 Transmission Pan Recommendations

gtxncuda

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a stock 71 Cuda 340/727 with a leaky trans pan. Since I've owned it, I've pulled the stamped OE pan a couple times, replaced the filter and fluid, straightened it (or at least tried to) from previous over-zelous tightening, installed new gasket (cork) and that helped somewhat, but ultimately, it still continues to leak. I do plan to try a silicone gasket for this next (final I hope!) go around, but can anyone recommend a stamped stock , or at least stock appearing replacement pan? I don't want any finned, cast aluminum, deep sump type pans as I want to maintain a factory appearance. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks FEBO! ;)

FLY'NFISH

Reaction score
The silicone gasket would probably work the best. They are a little thicker and may help even with a slightly bent pan. Plus most of the time you can reuse them when changing the fluid and filter.

moparleo

Reaction score
There is a reason that they make aluminum pans. They work better and you can get them with a drain plug. Unless you have a "show car" and are worried about point deductions to prevent you from winning, why not just stop the leak and get improved maintainability ? Drain plug is like gold when needing to drain for service. Also add a magnet to the pan what ever you use.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Don't use a chromed pan the chrome traps the heat in it's not too bad on valve covers but bad news on oil pans, aluminium will be more expensive but will keep the oil cool and seal better. Also check to make sure the leak is not coming from the shifter and kick down shaft seals, I got fooled by this I removed and resealed the pan multiple times using different types of gaskets and even no gasket with a bead of sealant but it just kept leaking then I found a trace of oil above the pan near the shifter and kick down shafts bingo changed the seals and no more leak.

gzig5

Reaction score
Aussiemark hits on all points. I recently experienced the same leak. The previous owner didn't realize it and over-torqued the pan, bending it and stripping several holes which I now get to fix. I fitted the MP pan in post #4 and bought the tool to replace the shifter seal. I painted the trans pan black. Believe it or not, but simply painting the surface black increases the thermal emissivity up to 5-6%. In layman terms, it gets the heat out more efficiently. We have studies at work that prove this and on critical applications we paint the inside and outside surfaces. Polished surfaces don't perform as well in this regard.

gtxncuda

Reaction score
Thanks all for chiming in, and the suggestions! I'll recheck to make sure no other leaks are occurring above the pan rail and replace the gasket with the silicone reusable style, and a new TBD pan.

i_taz

Reaction score
The Mopar pan isn't chrome....the pic just looks that way. I wanted to keep the stock pan/appearance but decided to go with the xtra capacity however it will hang below the exhaust... The gasket is the way to go if you can get one....

flohemi

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a stock 71 Cuda 340/727 with a leaky trans pan. Since I've owned it, I've pulled the stamped OE pan a couple times, replaced the filter and fluid, straightened it (or at least tried to) from previous over-zelous tightening, installed new gasket (cork) and that helped somewhat, but ultimately, it still continues to leak. I do plan to try a silicone gasket for this next (final I hope!) go around, but can anyone recommend a stamped stock , or at least stock appearing replacement pan? I don't want any finned, cast aluminum, deep sump type pans as I want to maintain a factory appearance. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks FEBO! ;)

flohemi

Reaction score
Hi, I would go to any Dodge dealer and ask them to look up a 727 pan from the 80's or 90's, those pans stayed the same for a long time and I'll bet you can get a new one from Chrysler, or if you decide to go deep, I had the mopar performance pan in black, they work great and it's stamped steel just like the original.

i_taz

Reaction score
Let me clarify something about the gasket, you will need longer bolts to use it.
The Mopar kit comes with everything you need even a spacer to drop the filter.

Back