• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Barracuda - Electrical issue - Wipers, Radio, Rear Lights, Indicators Not working

Cliff

Reaction score
So I had a electrically sound running 73 barracuda UNTIL After spending the day tidying up the engine bay wiring and harness with some wire looming. I tested the car once I was finished, All the electrics were all working for about 10mins, then all of a sudden dome light blows out and I cannot start the car.

I checked the fuses - all in tact.

The following don't work -

Indicators stay on - wont flash
Brake lights - wont go on
Radio - wont go on
Horn - wont work
Wipers - wont work

Only item that does work - headlights and all dasjh gauges.

Any assistance on what the issues could be????

Coupe

Reaction score
Years ago, I had the same problem. Mine was caused by the fuseable link touched the exhaust manifold and melted the insulation causing a ground. It wasn't immediatly noticable.

Reaction score
You say it won't start. Is that crank, or run?
Fuseable link is a good place to start.
Also check your ground strap at the rad support, make sure it's tight if you had it disconnected.
Signals not working could indicate a ground issue.

Cliff

Reaction score
To give everyone an update. The main issues:

Alternator was shorting out, the nylon plug was fragile and old (Replaced with an Autozone Alternator)
Voltage Regulator was blown out, therefore all the bulbs blew out by the power surge. (replaced all bulbs, including all those in instrument cluster, and exterior lights and bulbs)
The firewall plugs needed cleaning and reconnection, the mains battery wire was not providing power fuse box therefore no power to the dashboard resulting in a non working instrument and interior lights.
Fuseable link was burnt out.

To fix:
Replace alternator (Autozone)
Replace voltage regulator (Autozone)
replace fuseable link
reconnect and clean firewall plugs
replace all bulbs, fuses.

Fixed, and we now have a working and running sounds 1973 Plymouth Barracuda, touch wood.

Back