• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 challenger back in the family

YoungGun

Reaction score
I just bought the 73 challenger that my dad sold in 1997. Its charcoal gray and has 340. The car has been sold 3 times since he first sold it, but no one ever transferred the title. Car still has original title in my dads name. Most recent owner found my phone number trying to contact my dad. He wanted to restore the car but needed my dad to sign a title transfer form. Instead of signing the forms we bought the car back! Car is rusty and needs full rest. We have nice front fenders and doors off a 70-71. I'm looking for some info on making the switch. Will my 73 front bumper fit the 70-71 fenders? I will also need grill for 70 or 71. Any info/tips will be much appreciated! I will post some pics soon

burdar

Reaction score
Congrats on getting your dad's car back. I'm restoring my dad's car too. It's your car so you can do whatever you want to it BUT...Please keep it a 73 and don't change it to a 70 or 71. The paint code for your car is JA5. That is a very rare color and was only available for one year. My car is the same color. You very rarely ever see a car that color. Please post some VIN/fender tag info if you have a chance. There are some differences between the early built cars and the later build cars. If you change your mind and decide to do a more stock restoration, please get in touch with me with any questions you may have.

Here are a few pictures of my dads car for motivation. It is also JA5 and is being restored back to stock...318 and all.

DSC01444.jpg

P1010109.jpg

P1010108.jpg

P1010130-1.jpg

YoungGun

Reaction score
Good looking car! The vin from mine is jh23h3b319427. Its a 340 automatic with a/c and originally had vinyl top like yours. It's all primer gray now and pretty rough. we paid 1500 to get it back but I'm glad to have it

Last edited:

burdar

Reaction score
Your door sticker should have an MDH code in the lower left hand corner. That stands for Month Day Hour. Since the sticker was placed on the car close to the end of the production line, that is most likely the day it was built.

Good luck with the build!

a68postcar

Reaction score
oh heck yeah!!!!!!! welcome, good luck, i'm just about to get started on a '73 also.

a68postcar

Reaction score
BTW, i completely agree with Burdar on both counts. Don't change a thing. Heck if for no other reason, its the last of the 340's. oh and Burdar,toooooooo frickin sweet!!!!!!!!

Back