• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Challenger Engine bay harness

maineexile

Reaction score
I bought the HU1 harness from Year One, as i was putting it in i realized that it is going to be to short for the Alternator on my 440. Opps.
My question is has anyone else done this swap and did you use the engine bay harness HU107E instead? I ordered all the harness s for a 73, Will i run into any other problems that anyone knows of? Thank you for any help.

70chall440

Reaction score
Just extend the wires you need extended using butt connectors and heat shrink tubing (not the blue or red parts store connectors but uninsulated butt connectors which you can get from any of the electrical warehouses/stores or even Amazon). This will keep your alteration neat and tidy. Personally I crimp and solder all my connections but some only crimp.

moparleo

Reaction score
See if you can get the harness returned.
Why buy the wrong harness, made for the LA engine and then start splicing and crimping wires to modify it for the B engine ?
Use correct parts whenever possible, only modify when you have no choice. That was the whole point of buying new harnesses.

Last edited:

fasjac

Reaction score
I to have a 73, ordered the new harness for 1971 RB. As I didn’t have original 340, so it got a 440. Really easy.

maineexile

Reaction score
The obvious problem with ordering for a 73 is that they didn't install a B or RB engine after 71. You need to order for a 71 with the electronic ignition option. HU117NM
Thank you , i am going to do that.

maineexile

Reaction score
See f you can get the harness returned.
Why buy the wrong harness, made for the LA engine and then start splicing and crimping wires to modify it for the B engine ?
Use correct parts whenever possible, only modify when you have no choice. That was the whole point of buying new harnesses.
I am not going to splice any wiring, i bought all new from bumper to bumper, but bought some wrong ones, so i will try and send it back or sell online. Thank you.

maineexile

Reaction score
Just extend the wires you need extended using butt connectors and heat shrink tubing (not the blue or red parts store connectors but uninsulated butt connectors which you can get from any of the electrical warehouses/stores or even Amazon). This will keep your alteration neat and tidy. Personally I crimp and solder all my connections but some only crimp.
Thank you, i am going to reorder and try and return the wrong one

maineexile

Reaction score
I to have a 73, ordered the new harness for 1971 RB. As I didn’t have original 340, so it got a 440. Really easy.
Thank you, I am going to try and return this one and hope the other ones i ordered aren't wrong as well

Back