• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Challenger Rallye or not?

Moespar

Reaction score
So I bought a 73 challenger today, been wanting one for 30 plus years. Found it in OK shape, everything seems to be there. Except the engine, and maybe some other minor parts. Here's my question, as a newb, but someone who has been reading up on the 73 challenger.... This car has the correct fender tag (matches the VIN how it should), and I see an A57, so I want to assume this was a Rallye, and the engine was originally a 340, according to the VIN. but there are no side scoops on it, and the dash gauges are non-rallye. Do you suppose a previous owner changed the dash gauges ? What else could I look for to determine if this was originally a Rallye. Or does the fender tag alone suffice? Thanks

70chall440

Reaction score
Well I have had a 73 and 74 Challenger, neither of which were Rallye's so I cannot say for sure, but perhaps the car was hit in the front and the fenders were replaced or the car was partially parted out and someone took the rallye gauges, there are many many scenarios here.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
First 2 letters in the Vin , JH non ralley , JS ralley
This is true for 1972, but for 1973 and 74 there were no more 'JS' code cars, all were JH. So to determine a rallye challenger you then look to the A57 code, which this one apparently has, so would appear to be a rallye.

But - does the VIN on the dash match the cowl and rad support #s? Is there a rear sway bar present?

And what color is the grille, black or gray?

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
OK , I had a 74 L code 360 4 spd , I was sure it was a JS but I have been wrong before

Moespar

Reaction score
Yes I think parts got changed out over the years for sure. From this fender tag, I think the interior was originally green, as was the exterior, and there are remnants of the exterior color in green. I found a online decoder for this tag but its only for 1970 Challengers. Anyone know where I can decode this fender tag. Thanks yall.
Yes the rad support matches the VIN too !! i didnt know to look for that ! thanks

IMG_3601.JPG

70chall440

Reaction score
Ok so I have reviewed this tag and your car is definitely a Rallye (A57), it should have the fender louvers (M08) and it had a tach N85 which I believe should be a rallye instrument cluster.

73 Chall Tag.jpg

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Here you go. from chrysler corporation production option code book 1972-1974 fifth edition august 2007.

E55-340 8 cylinder 1-4bbl 240hp
D34-standard duty automatic transmission
J-Dodge
H-High
23-2 door hardtop
H-340 8 cylinder 1-4bbl 240hp
3-1973
B-Hamtramck, MI (build plant)
371085-Vin sequence
JF8-Dark green metallic
A-a class
6-vinyl bucket
F6-green interior
000-full door panel
223-february 23rd 1973
153652-build sequence number
v1X-black vinyl top
U-
A57-Rallye package, sport hood, black grille, simulated fender louvers, HD suspension, rallye instrument panel-type 7, longitudinal sport strobe stripe,f70x14" WSW tires
B41-front disk brakes power drum rear
C16-console
C56-bucket seats
G37-Left hand remote/right hand manual outside mirror chrome racing
H51-air conditioning with front heater
J54-sport hood includes hood scoops on select models
L25-trunk compartment lamp
L31-turn signal light hood/fender
M08-simulated door/ fender louvers
M21-drip through moldings
N41-dual exhaust system
N42-bright exhaust tips
N85-tachometer
R35-radio-am,fm,mx -stereo 10 watt
V6X-black longitudinal sport stripes
26-26"radiator
EN2-End of codes on assembly line 2

Moespar

Reaction score
That's Awesome ! thanks everyone, the dash is not original and the interior is Black, so I reckon someone changed this out. Man I'm stoked, good to know.

70chall440

Reaction score
Yeah these cars went through a lot thus far. Many of them at one point were considered junk, partially parted out, left for dead and then the values begin to rise and people saw $$, so many of these cars were resurrected for personal pleasure and more times than not, profit. Its little wonder things are not as they were back when the car was new; it most likely gave its parts to another project at some point. It never ceases to amaze me what some people will build or the lengths they will go to. Many cars that are being built or that have been resurrected would not have been good parts cars back in the day.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The louvers had issues when the cars were used as daily drivers. Mainly with car washes. The brushes would catch them and bend them up. When they were just used cars, many parts were no longer available. It used to be fairly common to discard the scoops and fill in the attaching holes before a repaint so the kid could have a car that wasn't embarrassing to have in the drive.

volunteer

Reaction score
IMG_1288.jpg
The louvers had issues when the cars were used as daily drivers. Mainly with car washes. The brushes would catch them and bend them up. When they were just used cars, many parts were no longer available. It used to be fairly common to discard the scoops and fill in the attaching holes before a repaint so the kid could have a car that wasn't embarrassing to have in the drive.

If you love/loved your E-body, you don't/didn't take it thru an automatic car wash. :wtf: . My (yes, JH) '73 has the scoops 'Delete' and the factory side moulding option. However, first owner had dealer install the louvers and ('74 style) coolant recovery system, and, modified air cleaner.
If rest of car is as good as the fender tag, owner has plenty of work ahead. (sigh)

Last edited:

Moespar

Reaction score
Good thing this aint my first resto! Well... E body it is. some cutting and welding, some sanding and painting. How hard can it be LOL. At least the interior is mostly all there. Not roached. Will need a Scooped hood, and for some reason, there appears to be wheely bar brackets that'll need cut off. Weird. Rear bumper lower valance is needed too. Overall, I havent felt this way about a full up resto in years !! really really excited.

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3673.JPG

InkedIMG_3690_LI.jpg

IMG_3672.JPG

70chall440

Reaction score
Got your work cut out for you but it should be fun (and by fun I mean complete frustration, busted knuckles, absolute depression, and joy beyond belief).

i_taz

Reaction score
Thnx.... they looked good enough if they were 15" I might have made you an offer...

Back