• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 cuda,3 speed manual 340

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moparman!

Reaction score
Hi,does any one have production numbers for a 73 cuda, 3 speed manual, with 340 rally guages Can't seem to find it?just looking for numbers.

Last edited:

sir_veza

Reaction score
Not sure about rally gauges but I believe there were only 30 built TOTAL with a 340 motor for the 1973 year - BH Vin if I'm not mistaken.

70chall440

Reaction score
You are not going to get numbers for rallye gauges or the light package. Those who throw those types of numbers around have extrapolated them from some source they found that applied to a much greater population of cars. As an example; say that someone found a source that said that Chrysler installed or had installed 500 sun roofs in 1970 and it is known that E bodies made up say 5% of the entire population of cars made (these are all made up numbers in case you are wondering); then someone could/would say that it is "possible that 25 E bodies came with sunroofs.

If you drill it down, pretty much every Mopar of that era was what all the investor types and Mopar Collectors Guide calls "rare". This is due to 3 distinct reasons;
1. because there were so many options
2. Chrysler would do anything if someone wanted to pay for it
3. Chrysler frequently used up existing inventory putting all sorts of weird combinations together

While a 73 340 3spd car might be relatively "rare" in terms of how many were made, that does not make it any more valuable than any other car of the same model, it just makes it unique. Back in the day that car would have had a 4speed put into it almost immediately because very few people wanted a 3 speed.

Just to be clear, I am not hating on the car at all, I think its pretty unique and cool, but if I owned it would have a 4 speed.... just saying.

NoCar340

Reaction score
While a 73 340 3spd car might be relatively "rare" in terms of how many were made, that does not make it any more valuable than any other car of the same model, it just makes it unique. Back in the day that car would have had a 4speed put into it almost immediately because very few people wanted a 3 speed.

Just to be clear, I am not hating on the car at all, I think its pretty unique and cool, but if I owned it would have a 4 speed.... just saying.

I also think your car is pretty cool and unusual, but oddballs are the norm with old Chryslers. I had a fairly-loaded '72 Charger Rallye with a tach, A36 Axle Performance package, dual exhaust with bazooka tips... and a 318. 🤨 Come sale time, I had nothing more significant than a 318 Charger Rallye. Rare does not equal desirable. Ask any 2nd-gen Slant Six Charger owner or someone with a 400 two-barrel GTO (yes, they built them). Rarity will never out-value a factory performance downgrade. That '72 Charger would've been much more valuable had I swapped in a 340, 360, or any big block.

There are two possibilities here: If your car was ordered--most were not--the buyer could swing the $85 required to get a tach, but not the $192.85 required for the extra gear (or he already had a line on a used 4-speed). More likely, it was a Sales Bank car (Y16) and the 4-speed or automatic was omitted to keep the sticker low, leaving more margin for sales-desk haggling.

There's a 1-of-32, full-boogie restored 1974 'Cuda 360 about 40 miles up the road. I looked at that car way back in '90 or '91 and thought, "Shame about the 3-speed." I still think that, I'm sad to say, and I think most others do too. The owner has the OE 3-speed handle and knob poking up from a factory boot. Beneath that there's an adapter to fit the 3-bolt Inland handle to a Hurst shifter, which is connected to an A833. Personally, I'd have all the original parts set aside (for a future owner) in favor of that 4-speed with a Pistol Grip... which I'd leave in at sale time to increase the car's value.

Enjoy the car for what it is, and what you like about it. A 4-speed is a bolt-in, so there's no shame in swapping if that's what you prefer. And while it's fun to tell someone your car is estimated to be one of 289/3-speed 340 cars, don't expect anyone to stagger backward while whipping out their wallet over it. Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else. 😁

budascuda

Reaction score
"Rarity will never out-value a factory performance downgrade"
I"m gonna right that down somewhere! 😁

I am not too fussy about 3 or 4 speed, I bought a 4speed last year, but now, I am gonna go with the rebuilt 3speed that my car came with. for me, 3 speed gets me there with %25 fewer movements, I don't like getting animated behind the wheel too much. That's why I love automatics.
Nevertheless, if you got the power, you can actually manhandle a 3 speed car pretty good you know !

rklein71

Reaction score
I have a 71 BHG Barracuda that is a two tone (tan and white) car. It is very rare. Tan is the rarest color for 71 Barracudas because it is ugly. Tan and white two tone, even uglier. I agree with above, rare doesn't always mean more desirable. Note: gills have been patched in, car is not a cuda.

Attachments

• IMG_1718.JPG
    IMG_1718.JPG
    877.4 KB · Views: 117

70chall440

Reaction score
I agree with this statement "Rarity will never out-value a factory performance downgrade" except in the case of provenance such as when the vehicle was owned by a celebrity, someone famous or in the case of being a prototype or special build AND has documentation. It amazes me that people are willing to pay increased prices for cars that were movies cars or cars owned by someone famous; I wouldn't but some people will.

Moparman!

Reaction score
Not sure about rally gauges but I believe there were only 30 built TOTAL with a 340 motor for the 1973 year - BH Vin if I'm not mistaken.
Thank you for your reply where did you get your info from ?

Moparman!

Reaction score

I am not too fussy about 3 or 4 speed, I bought a 4speed last year, but now, I am gonna go with the rebuilt 3speed that my car came with. for me, 3 speed gets me there with %25 fewer movements, I don't like getting animated behind the wheel too much. That's why I love automatics.
Nevertheless, if you got the power, you can actually manhandle a 3 speed car pretty good you know !

Moparman!

Reaction score
Rarity will never out-value a factory performance downgrade" that's funny. I disagree with that quote ,I can't stop laughing! I easily name dozens of cars that are low performers,but because there's not many on the planet it then becomes rare..so I will help you by saying a (cause and effect) by low numbered cars. Thus turning a car into a rare low numbers car if that wasent true the cause and effect wouldn't of been introduced in science class..lol.

Moparman!

Reaction score

I disagree Example if you have 10,000 cars on the planet 59 years later there only 1.theres going to be value on that car,specially of its a challenger,cuda,dodge,falcon. There's a reason scientist came up with the term cause and effect..lol so I'm not sure your reasoning makes sense?

Moparman!

Reaction score
I also think your car is pretty cool and unusual, but oddballs are the norm with old Chryslers. I had a fairly-loaded '72 Charger Rallye with a tach, A36 Axle Performance package, dual exhaust with bazooka tips... and a 318. 🤨 Come sale time, I had nothing more significant than a 318 Charger Rallye. Rare does not equal desirable. Ask any 2nd-gen Slant Six Charger owner or someone with a 400 two-barrel GTO (yes, they built them). Rarity will never out-value a factory performance downgrade. That '72 Charger would've been much more valuable had I swapped in a 340, 360, or any big block.

There are two possibilities here: If your car was ordered--most were not--the buyer could swing the $85 required to get a tach, but not the $192.85 required for the extra gear (or he already had a line on a used 4-speed). More likely, it was a Sales Bank car (Y16) and the 4-speed or automatic was omitted to keep the sticker low, leaving more margin for sales-desk haggling.

There's a 1-of-32, full-boogie restored 1974 'Cuda 360 about 40 miles up the road. I looked at that car way back in '90 or '91 and thought, "Shame about the 3-speed." I still think that, I'm sad to say, and I think most others do too. The owner has the OE 3-speed handle and knob poking up from a factory boot. Beneath that there's an adapter to fit the 3-bolt Inland handle to a Hurst shifter, which is connected to an A833. Personally, I'd have all the original parts set aside (for a future owner) in favor of that 4-speed with a Pistol Grip... which I'd leave in at sale time to increase the car's value.

Enjoy the car for what it is, and what you like about it. A 4-speed is a bolt-in, so there's no shame in swapping if that's what you prefer. And while it's fun to tell someone your car is estimated to be one of 289/3-speed 340 cars, don't expect anyone to stagger backward while whipping out their wallet over it. Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else. 😁
A Hemi is unique a falcon that just sold for 1 million dollars is unique even though it was under powered .I can give a few examples for anyone to say low numbered under powered cars of any type doesn't create a cause and effect and can never amount to value,should be disqualified from posting here please check your numbers. I have sold many under powered cars for over 1 million dollars please your check math.

budascuda

Reaction score
Now, since you have sold many underpowered cars for over a million dollars, you gotta know that there are a lot of fools out there.
Such as it is and contrary to your claim, the scientists didn't come up with the idea of "cause and effect" , it was the philosophers that came up with it. At any rate, it doesn't apply here.
You see, when someone says that;

BECAUSE this is the one and only (or few) , the EFFECT of this rarity makes it valuable. ,

You gotta say, buddy, if you EVER paid a tuition, go back and have it refunded!
Rarity is considered to be a quality, only when something is compared in rank with things that are already extra ordinary in the first place!
Rarity is not considered as a quality when we are comparing common and ordinary things, we just say its an oddball.

70chall440

Reaction score
The discussion seems to have turned a bit lofty.. LOL The car world just like any segment that has a "collector" element that sees items bought and sold based on a wide variety of factors, rarity might be one of them but not the only one. Rarity can and certainly does affect the value but it is relative to the item itself but more importantly is that the value is a direct reflection of the desire of the buying population. Just watch Antique Roadshow for a little while, there are plenty of "rare" things on there that aren't worth crap.

30 - 40 years ago, no one really gave a crap about Mopars and thus they had little value but once the investors and "collectors" became interested then the prices began to rise and rise...

Any manual E body, especially a performance car is worth money currently. You can argue until the cows come home about actual value but it would be in comparison to the rest of the breed which is the discussion here.

Last edited:

Moparman!

Reaction score
The discussion seems to have turned a bit lofty.. LOL The car world just like any segment that has a "collector" element sees items bought and sold based on a wide variety of factors, rarity might be one of them but not the only one. Rarity can and certainly does affect the value but it is relative to the item itself but more importantly is that the value is a direct reflection of the desire of the buying population. Just watch Antique Roadshow for a little while, there are plenty of "rare" things on there that aren't worth crap.

30 - 40 years ago, no one really gave a crap about Mopars and thus they had little value but once the investors and "collectors" became interested then the prices began to rise and rise...

Any manual E body, especially a performance car is worth money currently. You can argue until the cows come home about actual value but it would be in comparison to the rest of the breed which is the discussion here.
Yea it turned a bit lofty! If you read my post .I simply asked for numbers instead I got personal beliefs..to funny

70chall440

Reaction score
IMO this is one of the negative aspects of the hobby, everyone is concerned with value much more than the cars themselves in many instances. I completely get that people what their property to be valued and increase in value if possible but I see it on all the forums, the WWIW posts. I can honestly say that I haven't and don't build cars (Mopars) with the thought of its value when completed.

Moparman!

Reaction score
Now, since you have sold many underpowered cars for over a million dollars, you gotta know that there are a lot of fools out there.
Such as it is and contrary to your claim, the scientists didn't come up with the idea of "cause and effect" , it was the philosophers that came up with it. At any rate, it doesn't apply here.

BECAUSE this is the one and only (or few) , the EFFECT of this rarity makes it valuable. ,

Rarity is considered to be a quality, only when something is compared in rank with things that are already extra ordinary in the first place!
Rarity is not considered as a quality when we are comparing common and ordinary things, we just sa

Rarity is not considered as a quality when we are comparing common and ordinary things, we

Moparman!

Reaction score
You need to relax! just because a car is under powered doesn't make it obsolete or under valued there are many European as well as imports that fetch big $$If you read my post I simply asked for numbers. Now I will reimburse your tuition. Thank you lol

Moparman!

Reaction score
IMO this is one of the negative aspects of the hobby, everyone is concerned with value much more than the cars themselves in many instances. I completely get that people what their property to be valued and increase in value if possible but I see it on all the forums, the WWIW posts. I can honestly say that I haven't and don't build cars (Mopars) with the thought of its value when completed.
I hear you I happen to be a cuda owner as well as a 67 camaro ss owner! Hopefully nobody hears me say the word camaro ..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back