• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Cuda 340 muffler recommendation

djais1801

Reaction score
I have a 73 Cuda, #matching 340 built to 70 specs, slight cam. HP exhaust manifolds and 2.25 exhaust. mufflers sound good at idle out the back...but I want more of a throatier sound at throttle. I have attached a video of her running now...it sounds louder on the video. there is no make on the round mufflers only part# that I searched and came up with nothing. part no. were 71689 and underneath that was 2739Y82
Any advice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Pxqwnw674

moparleo

Reaction score
It sounds good and being quiet in the interior is good to hear your stereo or whatever. If you want more noise here is how the exhaust system works. The larger the exhaust diameter the throatier it sounds. The farther back from the engine the mufflers are, the louder it will sound.
You didn't show any pics of the exhaust system. The round mufflers at the back of the car are the mufflers. The mufflers at the front of the car are actually called resonators. These help to tone down the exhaust sound.

djais1801

Reaction score
Thanks guys..and moparleo I looked underneath and there are no resonators...just straight pipes to the rear mufflers

Mad Cuda

Reaction score
I want my Cuda to sound like that. Its a 1973 Cuda with a 383, 4 speed. Has aftermarket headers. Just want to to have a nice throaty sound like yours. I keep hearing that Magnaflow mufflers are the way to go, then another guy said to try a Borla exhaust kit. Any suggestions?

Cudafor36

Reaction score
I have turbos and they are a great rumble. A bit load at cruising speeds but hey people notice me. Those are bolted to a full tti exhaust system and headers.

Steve340

Reaction score
Your car sounds nice.
It can get annoying pretty quickly on a trip if you make it too loud.
I have DynoMax and a friend has Magnaflow. Both acceptable but loudish.

gzig5

Reaction score
I think it sounds great as is.
TTI uses Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers for their kits. 14" long body, I think they are PN 17733.

JohnP

Reaction score
Your car looks stunning, well done. I must say that the sound is better than mine as it sounds like a tin can. I am going to look at another exhaust.

First ride.jpg

71 cuda.jpg

20180707_154727_resized.jpg

20180811_132347_resized.jpg

i_taz

Reaction score
I have factory exhaust, resonators and mufflers, on a 440 and it doesn't sound like that. More tinny like JohnP said....

JohnP

Reaction score
I have Megaflow at the moment which sound tinny. I have taken out the 2 x center resonator boxes out and it sounds a little better. The pipes are 76 mm diameter, 3 inch which have a little tinny sound. I may lag the pipes and see what the sound is like after that. The car goes in for alignment and wheel balancing tomorrow. Lets hope the settings are correct with the Alterktion front suspension.

i_taz

Reaction score
JohnP.... Your car is stunning... Very cool how you attached the shaker to the hood.
I have to get out more....

dadeo1852

Reaction score
I have factory exhaust, resonators and mufflers, on a 440 and it doesn't sound like that. More tinny like JohnP said....
So do I and I'm not a big fan of how quiet it is, contemplating pulling resonators and just leaving rear mufflers but was wondering if anyone has done that. Maybe I should of started a new thread, sorry.

JohnP

Reaction score
I am under correction as my exhaust system is Flowmaster not Megaflow. I have the whole exhaust out at the moment. As I said previously I took the center resonators out and it sounded a little better. I am Lagging the exhausts today so lets see what it is like after. Please understand that I am In South Africa so there is a large time differance. I run a business and only get to reply late at night but mainly the next day.

Jim k

Reaction score
Johnp. What color did you use on your car ? I’m thinking of painting mine in a similar color.

JohnP

Reaction score
Its matalic Honda Volcano grey Max Meyer. code 64086431. Hope this helps. It is stunning in the sun, photos dont do it justice

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Tti system for my new motor and was the same for the 340 I took out. Send me your cell and I can forward a recording of it. My 340 was camed up a bit but you get the point. They were turbo mufflers

Back