• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

'73 Cuda - Passanger Tail Light melting housing - FIXED

Titan1969

Reaction score
Thx in advance for any advice.
I have an issue with the pass. rear tail light is melting the housing.
I have replaced the rear lens with new and the platics is thinner than I remember ( resto shop replaced the housing) on older cars.
The black plastic housing got so hot , the plastic that contacts the metal housing, melted onto the bulb!!! and the socket fell out of the housing.

sooooo....do I need to vent the housing? maybe drill a decent size hole in the top ? there is no hole anywhere currently, except for a portion where the buld burned through a portion of the socket hole.

as a side note, I had been running the parking lights for sevral hours and stuck in Los Angeles traffic so yes the bulb had likely been on for a very lonig time in "brake brightness" creating the added heat.

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Yes they make an LED equivalent for the taillights. I have one in my dome light. Thinking about using them on my taillights as well. Just cross reference to the correct bulb an the led will work where you need it.

terrywalker

Reaction score
Yes they make an LED equivalent for the taillights. I have one in my dome light. Thinking about using them on my taillights as well. Just cross reference to the correct bulb an the led will work where you need it.
Yep. I made the switch on my 74 Charger. They do have ones that plug right in but I had to file down the solder point of contact on the bulb a little so it would twist and lock in the socket -solder was too tall. I also filed down the outside diameter of the fiberboard the LEDs mount on to fit in socket properly. It took about 10 minutes per bulb to fit. Here's the results with the overhead lights in my shop on and off. I plan on doing it to both of my 71 Challengers and my other 74 Charger. Less stress on wiring and the old plastic lenses/housings.
Terry W.

Tail Lights LED 3.jpg

Tail Lights LED 2.jpg

Titan1969

Reaction score
FIXED!
I installed the BrightStar "red" LED bulbs which are listed as replacements for the tail lights 1157.
They installed fine and are super bright and no issues with flashers, they cycle just like normal.
Realy happy to stop melting my tail light housings.

Back