• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 to 70-71 front end conversion

84lamb250

Reaction score
First post here, looks like a lot of knowledge floating around.

Long story short: I have a ‘13 challenger that I’m swapping just about everything I can into my ‘73 challenger. Drivetrain, suspension, HVAC, interior, etc. The header panel is not in very good shape, and my fenders have a little rust, too. I’m thinking about changing to a 70 or 71 front end. I am getting a glass hood and may end up just buying glass fenders, also. So I’d assume all I need to do after I get the 70-71 fenders is find a complete grill / header panel assembly for a 70 or 71? How hard would that be? I haven’t had any luck finding a repro panel for my ‘73.

DrEamer

Reaction score
There is actually a place out of Canada doing repop header panels for the 1972-74 now, they are on eBay. They also have some used panels as well. I'll link them below. Now, that said, I am doing a whole 1973 to 1970 conversion myself. There is better selection of 1970 parts vs 1971, so consider that if you are going to do it. Also, if you are only going to put on a 1970/1971 front fenders, the marker lights will not match the ones on the rear. You will need to change them over, or shave them all off. The bumpers are different, and use different mounting brackets. The hood latch for both the 70 and 71 are one year only parts, but the 70 is available in repop. Of course the grill and a lot of other little parts will be needed. So, unless you, like myself, really crave the look of the 1970, keeping it a 1973 is easier, and less expensive. In the end either will be a cool project.

1972-1974 Dodge Challenger Showcars Front Outer Grille Header Panel HP-0001 | eBay

84lamb250

Reaction score
There is actually a place out of Canada doing repop header panels for the 1972-74 now, they are on eBay. They also have some used panels as well. I'll link them below. Now, that said, I am doing a whole 1973 to 1970 conversion myself. There is better selection of 1970 parts vs 1971, so consider that if you are going to do it. Also, if you are only going to put on a 1970/1971 front fenders, the marker lights will not match the ones on the rear. You will need to change them over, or shave them all off. The bumpers are different, and use different mounting brackets. The hood latch for both the 70 and 71 are one year only parts, but the 70 is available in repop. Of course the grill and a lot of other little parts will be needed. So, unless you, like myself, really crave the look of the 1970, keeping it a 1973 is easier, and less expensive. In the end either will be a cool project.

1972-1974 Dodge Challenger Showcars Front Outer Grille Header Panel HP-0001 | eBay
Thanks for that, good information to have. And I don’t know why I wasn’t able to find that panel when I was searching... but either way, really appreciate it.

moparleo

Reaction score
That is a really ratty looking panel and needs Lots of finish work. Keep looking for a genuine panel. No comparison on quality. In the long run less expensive to buy and fix a factory header than to buy this one an then have to do a lot of prep and fitting, finish, gelcoat work. Unless yours is crushed or missing large pieces it can probably be repaired. Check with large body shops or boat/marine shops for repair. You would be surprised what can be done with fiberglass.

DrEamer

Reaction score
That is a really ratty looking panel and needs Lots of finish work. Keep looking for a genuine panel. No comparison on quality. In the long run less expensive to buy and fix a factory header than to buy this one an then have to do a lot of prep and fitting, finish, gelcoat work. Unless yours is crushed or missing large pieces it can probably be repaired. Check with large body shops or boat/marine shops for repair. You would be surprised what can be done with fiberglass.

Just in case his can't be saved.

1972-1974 Dodge Challenger OEM Used Front Grille and Header Panel HP-0004 | eBay

1972-1974 Dodge Challenger OEM Used Front Grille and Header Panel HP-0003 | eBay

Back