• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 to 70 challenger rear bumper swap

Reaction score
Alright, I've sifted through the forums here and wanted to get a general consensus from the group. I'm looking at purchasing a new rear bumper for my 73 challenger. I'm not running the bumper guards currently and have no plans to.

From what I have read, it looks like I have a couple options in order to get away from having slots for the bumper guard 73 factory bumper.
1. Fill/weld slots & re-chrome on 73 bumper.

2. Purchase 70 bumper brackets + 70 bumper.

Does this sound about right?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Sounds right. If you go to the 70 style bumper, you need to remove the tag extension on the rear valance. If you move the bumper without removing the extension the tag light will shine on the back of the tag. Where I live you will get stopped. It may be different in your area.

Adam

Reaction score
Or fill/weld slots and paint them body color to look like the rare rubber bumpers.

brotow

Reaction score
As far as I know all the bumpers are the same, the difference is the lack off slots for a 70,. I am sure you can bolt on a 70 bumper to your 73 by using your 73 brackets and not having to cut out the tag "extension"

challenger6pak

Reaction score
As far as I know all the bumpers are the same, the difference is the lack off slots for a 70,. I am sure you can bolt on a 70 bumper to your 73 by using your 73 brackets and not having to cut out the tag "extension"
Rear bumpers are different because of the brackets. You can't even switch a 73 and 74 rear bumper without adding holes etc.

ProHemi572

Reaction score
I'm doing 70 bumpers on my 73. I Bought 70 brackets to bring the bumpers in closer to the quarters & fenders. Much cleaner appearance too.
I'm also using the '70 tail panel and '70 front grille & lites for the full 70 look with a T/A hood, too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here are the before and after pictures

22AE0822-59FB-4C48-BB74-A0F72A813E0C.jpeg

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Alright, I've sifted through the forums here and wanted to get a general consensus from the group. I'm looking at purchasing a new rear bumper for my 73 challenger. I'm not running the bumper guards currently and have no plans to.

From what I have read, it looks like I have a couple options in order to get away from having slots for the bumper guard 73 factory bumper.
1. Fill/weld slots & re-chrome on 73 bumper.

2. Purchase 70 bumper brackets + 70 bumper.

Does this sound about right?
Third option. Cut, bend, and weld the 73 brackets. Cost me $100, but I could reuse all my hardware and original bumper.

Attachments

• Challenger_RearBumber_After.JPG
    Challenger_RearBumber_After.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Challenger_RearBumberBrackets_After.JPG
    Challenger_RearBumberBrackets_After.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 202
Back