• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

74 Challenger Steering Coupler

Scoop

Reaction score
Hello. The steering coupler on my 74 Challenger doesn't look right. With the steering the way it is, really feels loose, I was thinking of upgrading the steering box to a Borgeson. Has anyone used Borgeson power steering box? Thoughts?

In the meantime, the picture shows the existing steering coupler. Its missing the end cap. Not sure whats pouring out of the coupler. Would this be safe to drive to my mechanic?

Thanks for your help.

20190204_085312.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
moparleo's suggestion can't be emphasized enough; do not drive the car with the steering coupler in that condition.
And :welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Good Mopar people here who are always willing to help!
The coupler is not real difficult to rebuild. You would have to loosen and pull up the steering column a small distance. There is a pin that has to be punched out in the coupler and it will slide off the steering chuck. The link that moparleo posted shows the parts that can be purchased as a kit and is not real expensive. If you have moderate mechanical skills, you can save a ton of money including the cost of a tow.
Good luck with what you decide and again; Welcome to FEBO.

BcudaChris

Reaction score
That is dangerous for sure. Easy to rebuild, be aware that your steering shaft is collapsible. That caused me some confusion when putting the newly rebuilt column back in the car. The shaft seemed to have shrunk a couple of inches when I went to reinstall. Makes it so you don't have to pull the column to remove the coupler though.

Scoop

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your input. I will have a look at it once its out for the spring. No I won't drive it until its repaired. I'm hoping to put in a Borgeson steering box and new coupler to tighten up the handling. If you have any experience with Borgeson, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks again.

Back