• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

8 3/4 rear end grease seal question

Steinman

Reaction score
I have a 73 Challenger with a 8 3/4 rear end 3.23 posity.
The right grease seal is leaking so I ordered a grease seal for the standard 8 3/4 seal.
upon removal of the axle I discover the existing bearing to be different. I think it may be a Dana. See picture of existing set up below. Can someone confirm what I have?
50544-31f4568464387ea4beb926f23d69e96d.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_10441.jpg
    IMG_10441.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 530

Daves69

Reaction score

moparleo

Reaction score
Stay with the original factory design. It was done that way for a reason. Green/ball bearings are a weaker design. Ball bearings were discontinued for front bearing applications in the early 60's. The wider tires put heavier side loads on the front bearings when making turns. All H.D. rear wheel drive applications use a tapered bearing and separate seal that do require regular maintenance. Been that way for 60 years. Tapered roller bearings are also used on all H.D. rear wheel drive and truck applications. Remember that the mighty Dana 60 is a H.D. truck rear end. Ball bearings have less rolling resistance because of much lower contact area. This may be good for drag racing where you only go straight but a street vehicle is designed for 100,000 plus miles of daily driving durability.
Here is a link with more detailed info on all types of bearings. Good reading.:
Wheel Bearings: Descriptions of Bearings, Races, Seals, and Hubs

Daves69

Reaction score
Here's "factory" tapered bearing design. Note the adjuster in the lightened area for axle shaft play. Tapered bearings require this adjuster.
OP, do you have this?
upload_2018-12-15_17-59-56.png

A driver side tapered does not have an adjuster. It's all done from the passenger side...……..
TimkenMoser1.jpg

Steinman

Reaction score
That is correct mine has a grove for a clip to hold the holding plate and a o-ring for a seal on the other side of the bearing face.

The first set of bearings I picked up did not have the grove for the clip and resulted in me wasting $100. My recommendation is to pull the axle first them you will know which bearing you will need.

There two types One has the holding plate pressed onto the bearing. the second has a snap ring and bearing grove to hold the plate.

Back