• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

8.75 Oil Capacity

sir_veza

Reaction score
Finally about to start the 3.55 swap from the 3.91 rear end.
As the 8.75 rear end has an oil capacity of 4.4 pints I'm throwing it out for discussion to make sure any oil over fill is ok??
As oil is sold by the liter in Canada I'm going to use 2 liters of gear oil plus 4 oz posi additive. Net result will convert to 4.65 pints instead of 4.44. Should I be precise with the measurement (4.44 pints) or will the little extra be ok?
Thx Steve

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You really cannot over fill it , so put in the first lt then add the additive & put in the second lt until it is up to the bottom of the fill hole , if you over fill it it will run back out of the fill hole . You could overfill it by not removing the fill plug & putting the oil in through the axle tubes before inserting the axles , I doubt it would hurt anything being slightly overfull by .2 lt but you might have an oil leak & wreck the brakes

sir_veza

Reaction score
Thanks Chryco, This will be my first time at opening the case and changing the guts of the rear end etc. Maybe I'll just measure out the oil / posi additive to 4.4 pints exactly be sure.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Clean the old oil out of the housing , it will not fully drain , & just fill up to the bottom of the fill hole , easy !

Back