• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A833 Fluid change

Artee

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm going to be changing my 4spd oil soon. I've been reading a lot of posts here about which fluid to use, what's better, and why. But I haven't seen anything about HOW the best way is to do it. I'm going to be on my back in a one car garage with no lift and a floor jack.
I'm looking for some tips, tricks and tools to make this go as smooth as possible.
Side note, the reason for the change is I've had the car for quite awhile and I have NO idea what's in there, as well as the terrible whine it makes while driving at higher speeds.

Thanks in advance.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Not hard to get it out , there is a drain plug near the bottom .
in is another story , I use a suction gun to get into the fill hole easily .
Use a Gl4 oil , GL5 is too slippery for the syncros ,you can mix in some ATF , it is recommended by Chrysler in cold climates but I just use straight GL4 80-90

Last edited:

Artee

Reaction score
Suction gun. nice idea. any particular style or brand that works better than others? And where's the best place to obtain this?

moparlee

Reaction score
Not hard to get it out , there is a drain plug near the bottom .
in is another story , I use a suction gun to get into the fill hole easily .
Use a GA4 oil , ga5 is too slippery for the syncros ,you can mix in some ATF , it is recommended by Chrysler in cold climates but I just use straight GA4 80-90
Don't you mean GL4 and GL5?
Is GL4 with no friction modifiers the same as GL5?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
sorry yes GL4
I use Lincoln brand , decent quality usually under $20, not sure where to find one in the USA , you have different tool supply companies there , the trans will hold 4 qts BTW.

70sixpkrt

Reaction score
There is a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. I use Stalub GL4 85W90. Don't use GL5 because that will eat up your Syncros. GL5 is for the rear differential which also uses the Friction Modifier Additive.

rklein71

Reaction score
When I used gear oil in Idaho, in the winter, the car would actually move slightly in neutral....crazy. Mopar recommends ATF by the way.

70sixpkrt

Reaction score
When I used gear oil in Idaho, in the winter, the car would actually move slightly in neutral....crazy. Mopar recommends ATF by the way.
Depends on the temperature.

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 5.23.55 PM.png

volunteer

Reaction score
From my fifty or so years of use, the (factory fill) ATF was too light and sometimes 85-w90 too heavy. Today it depends on condition of internals - particularly the brass syncro rings. Heavier oil cannot be 'chased out' of the syncros - especially if the grooves are worn - complicated by a low ambient temperature.
One other way to fill (and it applies to many other vehicle trannys as well) is to use a semi-rigid transparent plastic tubing - est. 3 ft. and snake it down to insert one end into fill hole - which I recall is quite large - so this tubing can be almost half-inch I.D. Then, the upper end is supported near the master cyl. and a suitable plastic funnel is wedged into the top of this rigid tube. Have the drain plug secure (duh) and place a container or tray under fill area to catch likely overflow. Slowly pour in your measured amount until it begins to leak out from around tubing/fill area. Not hard to do and beats heck out of lying on back and using squeeze-bottles. Sure, a siphon type dispenser is proper way but not my preferred choice.

Back