• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A833 Reverse Detent Assembly

wedg2go

Reaction score
Going through the process of hunting down any leaks that cropped up on my ride. One caught my eye.

To best describe this, it is the large nut - with bolt - below the reverse light switch. Has anyone ever removed one with the transmission in place? I know there is a spring and metering ball beyond that, but I want to be sure nothing drops out into the transmission case before I put a wrench to it. Rather have the leak than to have to pull the trans to fish the pieces back out.

The leak is behind the large nut.

Transmissions are my weak link in knowledge. I leave all that to someone in the know.

Thanks in advance!

69hemibeep

Reaction score
Bump. Its been awhile so I changed my post to a bump

Last edited:

Steve340

Reaction score
I have taken it out. Take the little plug out first to expose the spring. Remove the spring. Use a magnet to bring out the ball bearing.
Now you can take out the large nut and re-gasket the parts.
Reassembly is the reverse.

wedg2go

Reaction score
That's what I thought. I read so many replies, on other forums, about losing the ball in the transmission I became concerned. Gaskets are on there way. Should go smooth...I hope.

Steve340

Reaction score
The magnet has to be fairly small to go down the hole in the plug to get the detente ball.
I was lucky I had just the right thing in my toolbox.
So long as you get the ball bearing out before you loosen the big nut it is easy job.

wedg2go

Reaction score
Steve340 -

Hey buddy! Thank you - Thank you - Thank you!!!

I can't tell you how many horror stories I read, on line, that described dropping that ball into the inner working of the transmission. That process was an unknown and I always play the cautious side when delving into the unknown. You are right. Easy job and no more leaks!

Last edited:

Steve340

Reaction score
No problem and glad the info was helpful and you got the job done right.
Thanks Steve

Back