• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

AAR grille paint

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
It's called black argent. Very specific look.
Not exactly sure where to find it, but I would call Mike Ross with BE&A and ask him if he can supply it or point you where to get it.

Adam

Reaction score
The black is not flat. It has a metal flake look to it. Much like light and dark argent. But black paint instead of grey.
Interesting, I always thought they were black; can someone post a close up of an original grill; what color is the metal flake?

I would use a urethane paint for the grill. It’s very durable, won’t fade, uv stable etc.
You can buy different colors of metal flake additives to mix into any paint; but be aware you must use the proper tip size on your spray gun, and be quick so the flake doesn’t settle.

I have used this paint several times it is easy/forgiving to spray; follow the directions on the can. Two coats then walk away. If you put on three coats, or more, it will have a glossier look. If you need another coat wait til it is dry. A grill or tail panel would be easy. A hood… work fast, chase the wet edge all the way across x 2 and leave it alone.

77F0FABD-56A6-467F-AC51-61E57EDB8B30.jpeg

Qtip

Reaction score
Just wondering what paint to use when repainting my AAR grille ...any flat black or what ??
I am in the same position. Mike Ross was gracious enough to sell me one of his few remaining grills. At MCACN, I shot these of Wellborns survivor. It almost looked like organisol, with a tiny, and I mean almost NOT there amount of silver flake. The finish was glossier than say the organisol on the hood. I don't mean glossy. It had a more subtle texture to it. 50 years later, I think paint certainly lays down. I am still up in the air on what to do. I want to see more this year before I tackle it. Don't know if this helps. Here's the pics.

Attachments

• 20211120_112319_001.jpg
    20211120_112319_001.jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20211120_112359.jpg
    20211120_112359.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 109
  • 20211120_112323.jpg
    20211120_112323.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
@LIMEGREENAAR
Here ya go. Some reading about exactly what your looking for.

And then as suggested on ebodies.org, I asked on Moparts and received the information.

Adam

Reaction score
@LIMEGREENAAR
Here ya go. Some reading about exactly what your looking for.

And then as suggested on ebodies.org, I asked on Moparts and received the information.
That is a good link/thread, thank you!

LIMEGREENAAR

Reaction score
Thanx for all the grille help. I still have my factory grille but its damaged. The new one I bought is grey .the color of the injection molded plastic used. Still a lot to do so I'll keep searching for a solution.

Back