• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Accelerator Cable in Bind

72barracuda

Reaction score
I have a '72 small block/727/Thermoquad setup that I am trying to refine. I seems like there is too much accelerator cable length in engine compartment causing it to bind which requires a lot of spring tension for carb throttle bracket to rest on idle adj screw consistently. There is quite a large bend in the cable to go the short distance from firewall to bracket. When I detach the accelerator cable from carb the throttle bracket returns to proper location as it should. There should be an image attached to this message showing what I have. Is there only one length of accelerator cable used on these cars? This car was originally a 318 2 bbl and I don't remember ever changing the cable. If this the correct cable then maybe I just need to spray some lubricant in the ends or get a new one.

1650131879836.png

moparleo

Reaction score
When you changed to the 4 BBL. did you change all the brackets ? The 318 cable is fine but the 4BBL carb throttle shaft is farther forward then the 2 BBL. so the throttlecable bracket moves the cable forward, also the kick down rod will need to be lengthened as it will now be too short.

72barracuda

Reaction score
I ordered a new bracket when I started on this reincarnation to be sure I have the right one I got the correct kickdown rod too. All that seems to match the drawing except my cable has so much bend it reaches to the distributor. If the cables are all the same I will remove/lube/reinstall. Maybe it just has a weird twist in it. There's a Moparfest in Mobile next weekend so I should be able to do some good comparisons there.

Back