• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Aftermarket Steering Column Options or Opinions???

Pacoloco

Reaction score
For a 74 Barracuda with power steering.

Has anyone used any aftermarket steering columns for their mopars? I'm def on a budget and not a purist, I just want it to work, be safe and look somewhat cool.
And also be affordable.

I purchased one online in haste and realized I have no idea what I am doing nor what I was purchasing. I have also seen a few options on eBay for $300 which is around my price range but not sure what else I will need to make them work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

steering3.jpg

steering2.jpg

steering.jpg

marks ebody

Reaction score
send it to me and I’ll put it together.
I believe you got a 70 column there.
everybody wants a 70 column.
I would recommend that you sell that and get a 71 column to 74 column they are a little bit cheaper and the key removal Is on the column. And you don’t have to run linkage which is not equipped on your car but you could adapt it. Cell 818.425.3967
That picture is 71 to 74

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    861.6 KB · Views: 163

Iguana

Reaction score
If you are able to make some cash on that like Marks ebody said, consider an iDidIt column. Pricey, but worth it in my opinion. I just had one put in my 72 and I recommend it. It does away with all the old switches and wiring from old column. The ignition switch on mine had gone bad and it turned out to be hard to find a good replacement. The ones sold on popular sites did not match up with regards to wiring. Plus the iDidIt tilts, which is nice...

Attachments

• 0212211712.jpg
    0212211712.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 189

70chall440

Reaction score
I used a generic hot rod tilt column in my 73, paid $99 for it at a Goodguys event. It does take some work and imagination to make it work but it isn't rocket science. The hardest part is the bracketry that holds the column up and at the time I did that column I didn't want to weld on the column mainly because I didn't want to disassemble the column completely. In retrospect I probably would do just that. I also I used a Borgeson double D Mopar adapter because the column uses a double D shaft.

I don't remember the overall length but measure a column without the crush can and thats basically it. The other deal is that the crush can will not fit into the upper collar like it does stock, basically you will have a little step there between them, I made a taper collar to adapt the can to the column.

it is a fair bit of work but it is a lot cheaper than ididit or flaming river.

Back