• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Alignment "Rear" thrust angle ?

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Anybody know what the thrust angle specs are? I can't find anything in the 1970 & 1973 Dodge manuals. I had a "brain fart" when I touched/adjusted my toe-in/out and forgot to take any measurements. Then I went and finally centered my aftermarket steering wheel so eveythings slightly out. I tried to bring the car in 15 years ago and was told they could not do a alignment on it, and never gave me a reason. I don't trust alot of shops with my car so I figured I'd do it myself. I fab'd up some hub stands to make it easier and "went to town". I need to confirm my thrust angle as I'm using 2 different methods to set toe-in and my readings don't match (toe plates & string method with angle finder gauge). Car is '74 Challenger

moparleo

Reaction score
Try this.
alignment specs.jpg

aussiemark

Reaction score
A lot of shops don't have shims to set up the camber but our cars have eccentric bolts so maybe the don't know this. Would you run different settings to original when using radial tyres as the cars had cross plies when new. I would take it to a shop the laser equipment they use will be far more accurate just stand there and watch them so they know you care about your car.

budascuda

Reaction score
" just stand there and watch them so they know you care about your car"

That's a old school golden rule!

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
The closest shop has their alignment machine right infront of the waiting room windows so its easy to watch them. However they will only do a factory alignment (bais-ply tires were factory) and won't do a custom alignment. Even re-adjusting for raidial tires. My other concern is I have a cage and fiberglass doors which you can't lean on, so its tricky getting in and out.

moparleo

Reaction score
If they will only do a "factory alignment" How are they able to do yours ? Number one item to do a proper alignment is the tires must be the same size front and rear, wheel offset the same front and rear, and lastly the car must be at the factory standard ride height. How many cars out there will qualify for that ?
When any shop does a computerized alignment, there will be a print out. There are min and max specs for each angle. ask that hey do a preferred spec alignment and ask for a print out. No alignments where they just tell you it was in the green. Left and right sides should be the same , not at min spec on one side and max spec on the other. If they don't want to take the time ( which you pay dearly for ) to do it to the preferred spec, go to another shop.

Back