• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

alt overcharging

74 challenger

Reaction score
ok new batt, new vr, ballest good and i have a jumper wire from alt to s relay.Vr grounded, could the alt be stuck on charging?Was told alt was good at store.Cleaned wires at bulkhead ,field wires good.So were do i go from here?

74 challenger

Reaction score
i set my meter to dcv 20 and car off 12.89,car on idle 15.58,car at 2000rpm lights on 15.89

moparleo

Reaction score
Yep, thats high. Do you still have the old voltage regulator? If so sub it and recheck. Alternators usually go the other way if they have bad diodes. Check the voltage at the alternator. I hate electrical...

74 challenger

Reaction score
car off-12.48, car on-lights on -15.90 2000rpm, car on gr field off 12.15, car on blue vr unhooked-11.30, car on ballast 4 prung top 5.0, bottom .02 alt with fields off 12.15 , so im thinking wiring maybe connector with the 8 wires.

moparleo

Reaction score
The best thing to do, when you have the time, is to check and clean every fuse, bulb and harness connection. Always been a problem with our cars, Bad contacts, bad grounds, bad bulb sockets etc....

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Well you have power to the field & reg , so either the alt is bad or the reg is bad causing the alt to go to full charge , I doubt it is a connection problem , it is all underhood , the field has regulated power to control the output of the alt so if the field or reg shorts & allows full power to the field circuit it will put out max charge have you had the alt tested ?

74 challenger

Reaction score
Hey Neil,yes they checked the alt and said it was good.Replaced the vr twice.Now i replaced dash harness-old one was bad,new engine harness and still have the problem. Im at the point of dropping the car of at a shop.Alt was checked at 2 diff stores,vr has a good ground just lost on this.

moparleo

Reaction score
Take it to an electrical shop. You cannot properly check the alternator on a bench.
You need a fully charged battery before you even start to diagnose the problem. They should be able to find the problem in short order. Some things are worth paying experts to fix.

74 challenger

Reaction score
hey guys talked to dodj and gave him the numbers and he told me they were good. I guess i was over reacting when i seen the numbers . THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED ME. Now im dealing with the ac-willit ever end?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
it is not supposed to end , that is the fun of owning an older car , you can upgrade & are often forced to !!

Back