• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Aluminum head re-torque

greatscot3

Reaction score
I recently bought a set of new Edelbrock heads for my '74 440 Cuda and I've had some adventures getting the stock exhaust manifold studs and sleeve nuts out of the stock exhaust manifolds.
The rear most sleeve nut on the driver's side exhaust manifold has caused me to have to remove the driver's side motor mount bolt and jack the engine up to get the sleeve nut head away from the steering column far enough to get a wrench on it.
I have to remove both exhaust manifolds completely to get to the lower/outer head bolts on both heads.
I notice that Edelbrock says in their installation instructions that the heads need to be re-torqued after initial startup and cool down.
This is going to entail getting those bi*tch kitty manifolds back out again to do that.
Does anyone know of a work around to avoid having to do that all over again?

Steve340

Reaction score
There are gaskets that require no re-torque. Fel Pro has composite gaskets that they advertise does not need second torque down. I have fitted these many times and never re-torque with no issues.
I now use the MLS ones and never do a re-torque. The gasket surfaces need to be quite smooth but other than that they are easy to fit. But I do (and always did) take an extra step to the tightening procedure that I can pass on to if you want to use it.

Back