• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

AMD Shock Tower Problem

falcben

Reaction score
I am not sure how this has gone unnoticed, it must not be too vital to suspension....BUT:

I ordered both of my shock towers for my '70 Barracuda and I installed my right hand first because i have to do my left frame rail as well. I took way too many measurements before cutting the tower off, which I am glad I did. On the picture below, the spot marked, which is the rear hole for the control arm, measures at a different height on the AMD shock towers. AMD confirmed that the right tower measures at 1 5/8" at that spot, which is what mine was at as well. The left AMD one I have is 1 1/4". They are both 1 1/4 inches from the top of the frame rail from the factory, or at least they were on my car. The front side is the same on both replacements, and same as original, which is a hair over 3". This would make the right control arm slightly crooked in comparison to stock and the left control arm right?

I, with the experience of having to "cut to make fit" replacement panels not made by AMD, decided to cut it to get close to that measurement 1 1/4". Not thinking of the outcome of the rest of the shock tower itself. I finished up with all the measurements that mattered (from what I thought) which were:

-front of frame rail to front of shock tower
-upper shock tower hole from left tower
-control arm bolt holes from frame rail

None of the other measurements could be changed unless the shock tower was altered itself. I then went to mock up the inner fender to notice that the shock tower was slightly crooked in the cut out, and my firewall to shock hole measurement was 1/2" off. The rear control arm bolt hole ended up 1/8" low once it was welded in place, but that would not cause 1/2" on the top.

Personally, I think the shock tower itself being straight is more vital than the control arm being slightly crooked. So I plan on re-ordering and installing the tower based on the shock hole, not the control arm bracket.

Thoughts?

topic=8874.jpg

;topic=8874.png

;topic=8874.png

topic=8874.jpg

;topic=8874.png

topic=8874.jpg

topic=8874.jpg

;topic=8874.png

;topic=8874.png

topic=8874.jpg

aussiemark

Reaction score
The inner fenders have to be right otherwise you will have trouble getting the front end sheet metal to line up. Do you think the control arm bracket was not welded in the correct position on the new shock tower?

falcben

Reaction score
The inner fenders have to be right otherwise you will have trouble getting the front end sheet metal to line up. Do you think the control arm bracket was not welded in the correct position on the new shock tower?

I can get the inner fender well in the correct position, the shock tower will just clearly be crooked.

I think that is the case, I may order another shock tower from another company and see how the measurements come on it.

falcben

Reaction score
Just an update on this. I ordered and installed another AMD Shock Tower. They told me to mount it how they send it and that the bad measurement has not posed any problems.

I thought I would share a picture to show what I saw when I got the shock tower and why I thought it should be approached. LEFT is the drivers side one that is the same as factory, RIGHT is the passenger side that measures 3/8" higher.

As I said, they claim it poses no issues whatsoever, so I just ran it as is.

topic=8874.jpg

Back