• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Another A-66 question

DrEamer

Reaction score
I'm doing a my 1973 Challenger as a 1970 resto-mod tribute car. I am kind of shooting for something based off my 1970 A-66 package that I owned 30 years ago. I remember quite a few of the details about the car, but can't remember, or find everything. My question is about the headlight bezels and grill shell. Is the paint black, or is it the argent? Also, did the package only come with a 4 speed manual?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Argent grille because it was based on the JH base model but some insist that their A66 left the factory with R/T trim pieces.
All transmissions were available and most were autos iirc..

quapman

Reaction score
Butt stripe is standard on A66, but many had none. E60-15 tires were also standard (I think. I know they were on cuda 340)

340challconvert

Reaction score
The 15 x 7 inch wheels were initially "standard" on the early A66 Challengers Around late October, F70-14's became standard, but the 15" wheels could still be ordered.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I'm doing a my 1973 Challenger as a 1970 resto-mod tribute car. I am kind of shooting for something based off my 1970 A-66 package that I owned 30 years ago. I remember quite a few of the details about the car, but can't remember, or find everything. My question is about the headlight bezels and grill shell. Is the paint black, or is it the argent? Also, did the package only come with a 4 speed manual?
If yours was an early car built in the first 5 months or so it would’ve had decals on the hood for the engine call-out instead of an emblem. I have reproductions made from an original NOS set available.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
My 70 Challenger is a factory A66 car. Mine has a black grille and also a black tail panel with no stripe and no engine call outs on the hood. Hard to say what all has been changed or not over the years before my ownership.

DrEamer

Reaction score
If yours was an early car built in the first 5 months or so it would’ve had decals on the hood for the engine call-out instead of an emblem. I have reproductions made from an original NOS set available.

I'm going from 30 year old memories, but I do remember my Challenger had front disc brakes, front sway bar, Rallye hood and dash, 4 speed and of course the 340. It was an original plum crazy car that someone painted over in a non factory burgundy. I bought the car with the rear drivers quarter smashed, and the front tire had hit a curb hard. The plan was to have our neighbor fix the damage, as he was a very good body man. Sadly I was in school at the time, and money was short. So I sold it, and kept my 1972 Challenger since it was straight, and ran. It was not until ten years later that I got a call from someone that had bought it asking if I had the broadcast sheet, did I realize I had given up a special car. He had decoded the fender tag, said it had the bubble bee stripe, and that 340 was not original, but was period correct to the car being dated as a 1969 production date. That leads me to believe that it was an early car, but I will never know at this point.

My intentions with the 73 is not to do a full A-66 clone. I have not decided if I want a bubble bee or longitudinal stripe. Also, I plan on using SE style seats with the salt and pepper fabric inserts. I do not however want to throw R/T badges on like so many do. So, the A-66 seems like a clean look that I want to capture the spirit of, but with some tasteful twist included.

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Sounds like a great plan! Will it have a 340 in it? I’ve never gotten the chance to drive a 340 E-body or even ride in one but in my head I’ve thought it’s the perfect engine for these cars and the A66 & T/A are my favorite Challenger models.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Sounds like a great plan! Will it have a 340 in it? I’ve never gotten the chance to drive a 340 E-body or even ride in one but in my head I’ve thought it’s the perfect engine for these cars and the A66 & T/A are my favorite Challenger models.

I have a 5.9 Magnum out of a 1993 Dodge D 200 pick up along with a A-518 overdrive transmission to drop in. The engine will look like a 340 with the exception of having the serpentine belt and AC compressor from the Magnum. The 5.9 make a ton of power with nothing more then a top end kit, and are much easier the find, plus less expensive then a 340.

Back