• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Another QA1 Day!

VillaTA

Reaction score
Today my second foray into QA1 front end improvement arrived. Strut Rods. I was so impressed with the UCAs, I wanted to go further. I am looking for advice from the group. Since I’ll have the torsion bars loosened, should I replace those too? Will it make that much of a noticeable difference for street driving? Any suggestions? Trying to decide whether to rebuild steering box or install new torsion bars.

image.jpg

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
Rebuilding the steering box or torsion bars is kind of a strange thing to choose between. The box controls slop in the steering wheel, and the torsion bars are just new springs.
Is the box bad ?? Worn or just leaking ? Depends on what is wrong.
Both items may need replacement, But really 2 different things.
The steering/suspension is a system and its efficiency will be the result of the entire package.
The box is more related to the steering linkage parts. Idler arm, pitman arm, tie rods, center link, steering box, (pump if power). All parts need to be in good condition to get the full benefit of precise steering.
Torsion bars, control arms, strut rods, shock absorbers , a system. Work best when everything is tight and in good condition .
Only you know how your car rides and handles, so it is really up to you anyway.
Just money...

VillaTA

Reaction score
Steering box is just worn. Decent amount of play. It isn’t a one or other option, just which do I do first. I guess torsion bars make most sense since it will be apart.

Flchallenger

Reaction score
You don't have to remove or loosen the torision bars. Or separate the bottom ball joint. I didn't. Just take a grinder with metal cutoff wheel and cut the old struts. The new ones slip right in. Also leave some of the adjusting rod end that connects to the lower control arm extended. You can't a wrench on the nut hardly to tighten it if you don't. They do make big difference. It's much easier.

Back