• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Another radiator question

Cuda525

Reaction score
Is a 26” 3 row stock 340 radiator going to be able to cool a 500 HP 440?

Anyone have any experience with this?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Some thoughts on this;
-the input/output hoses are on opposite sides BB vs SB. You could work this w non-stock hoses
- BB engines make a lot more heat then a small block, especially with increased HP, you may need an upgraded stock BB radiator or an all aluminum radiator to handle the heat
- you could also consider a seven blade mechanical clutch fan or electric fan, and high flow water pump to help the radiator.
- Or also take your SB radiator and have it re- cored and add rows
I would just pick up a new aluminum BB radiator to handle the job

As I said earlier; Just my thoughts!

Attached pics show BB block and SB radiator differences;
Dino2 (1).gif

BB radiator.png

SB radiator.jpg

Last edited:

Cuda525

Reaction score
Thanks for weighing in on this, there is just so many choices. I just want to spend the money once.

Cuda525

Reaction score
440source make a B.B. housing that fits small block radiator hose position.

340challconvert

Reaction score
My last thought on this; I once owned a 440-6 pk Challenger back in the day. I had the experience of driving the car in urban environments (NYC /Washington DC) on occasion. Car of course had the HD cooling aides (26" rad, ps cooler, extra trans oil cooler) as well as the factory 7 blade clutch fan and factory water pump. Even changed out the thermostat on occasion to look for improvement in engine temp. Man, 440's run hot. In summer driving I was lucky to keep the engine temp under 220 (timing of course set correctly). The car also had a factory shaker with at least some cooler air entering the carb.
If you modify the engine for more power, it will need some help in the cooling department. I would at the least, up-grade the radiator. Good luck with what u decide to do!

aussiemark

Reaction score
I remember seeing some direct fit aluminium radiators some where that had a painted black option and the tanks were shaped like original ones they looked very original but they would be more efficient and they were cheap.

aussiemark

Reaction score
check Ebay item# 351583436713 sound ok and cheap. I have noticed some big blocks have the top hose on either side even the same type of engines.

Cuda525

Reaction score
I’m liking the Cold Case anyone tried these?

Jimmyspeed59

Reaction score
ABD3D4F8-F75E-40C5-BE74-F9C1E4F7FBB2.jpeg
7C6E57E1-FD80-478D-868B-07C2F800FB46.jpeg
I have a 318 car with a/c that I converted to a 440 six pack car with a/c and I retained the a/c fan which has the same part number that was used on hemi cars and bought a aluminum stock looking radiator from auto city classic. My car hasn’t run hot at all but has a mild cam and makes 428 HP. I Think the radiator cost a little over 200 bucks not bad and of course I painted it black.

Cuda525

Reaction score
That is the perfect engine bay, I prefer the painted look of a radiator. Great job!!

i_taz

Reaction score
Garage doesn't look bad either.... I agonized ovr whether to keep aluminum or not. I bought the car with what looked like a champion 3 row but wanted something that looked somewhat stock and ended up going w a OER 3 row brass and it works great even though it's only a 22" on a stock 440.
Haven't hit 200 yet. There's a interesting read on the physics of brass vs aluminum but can't find the bookmark now but it boils down to design over material....

You should also consider the fan clutch. I posted on here showing the clearance using the Hayden 2947 heavy duty clutch...

440 Heavy Duty Fan Clutch

Here's a thread on someones else's experience with it...

New Hayden Heavy Duty Low Profile Fan Clutch (Jag Style) | Unlawfl's Race & Engine Tech | Moparts Forums

i_taz

Reaction score
If breaking even is the worst thing then you did alright. At least Mopar's are still rare enough I guess... The other week I couldn't believe watching Mecum a '67 GTO couldn't bring $35k and a Super Bee sold for $55. Imagine the poor guy who spent 10 yrs on a Olds 442... Good luck with truck...!

Back