• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Another Wiper motor question

Rhino7415

Reaction score
I just had my wiper motor (3 speed) rebuilt. It did not park and also only had one speed (except on occasion it would run at high speed). Well, I just got it back and have the exact same issues!. I have the motor grounded but still won't park and will only run at one speed no matter where I run my switch at. I am attaching a photo. It is grounded to the block and I added another ground to firewall. Am I doing it wrong? How do I ground the switch? Any help is appreciated.

Wiper motor.jpg

sixpactogo

Reaction score
Did you change from a 2 speed to a three speed? I am wondering if you have a mixture of parts such as a 2 speed wiper switch and or a 2 speed crank arm. If your car always had a 3 speed wiper and no parts were changed, it has to be a wiring issue. You have two grounds on the wiper motor so it has to be elsewhere. I would start with verifying you have a 3 speed switch and if it is wired properly. On another note, did you relocate your ballast resistor? It should be mounted in the hole just to the left of your wiper motor and some of your wiring looks un-familiar to me.

Last edited:

Rhino7415

Reaction score
Well, I figured it out. I pulled out the switch from the dash and placed a ground wire around the switch mounting nut and then re-attached everything. I then took the other end of the ground wire and mounted it to a bolt on the interior firewall. I also made sure every place that the ground wire made contact with had been sanded free of any rust, paint, etc. WORKS!!!

Rhino7415

Reaction score
The reason the wiring looks a little "funky" is that when the wiper motor was rebuilt, they replaced the female connector that was on the motor with a male connector. I made 4 "jumper" wires to bridge the connection until I get the female connector back from the shop that rebuilt my motor.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
How do I ground the switch? Any help is appreciated
You went to a lot of trouble to ground the switch. It's grounded by a mounting screw to the dash frame. If that screw fell out or there's excessive paint on the dash then there won't be a good ground. Sorry for the late reply.

SwcGnd.jpg

volunteer

Reaction score
I saw two (3-spd) switches on eBay. Both claimed to be tested but as it turns out, they were installed to accomplish this. I need a link with info to bench test my switch - then, depending on results, another link to troubleshoot installed motor. Thanks.

pschlosser

Reaction score
I saw two (3-spd) switches on eBay. Both claimed to be tested but as it turns out, they were installed to accomplish this. I need a link with info to bench test my switch - then, depending on results, another link to troubleshoot installed motor. Thanks.
Are you seeking something better/more than the wiring diagram from the FSM? Won't the wiring diagram show you how the switch should function?

volunteer

Reaction score
Ummm - I am actually seeking something simpler than the FSM diagrams - - ie: continuity between any two of six blades of isolated switch - - then which wires into motor that will operate and park the wipers.

pschlosser

Reaction score
Ummm - I am actually seeking something simpler than the FSM diagrams - - ie: continuity between any two of six blades of isolated switch - - then which wires into motor that will operate and park the wipers.
That's in the manual, too. Start a new thread (this one belongs to @Rhino7415 ) and I'll see if I can find that info. I seem to recall seeing such a chart.

Tom's EK2

Reaction score
2 cents worth
I experienced wiper motor problems a while back. Long story short. Where the cone shaped washer is located, on the ground hole maybe(yeah im getting old and this was 20 years ago), i had to laugh when i discovered maybe 3 or "washers" stacked inside each other. Obviously someone else had wiper motor problems 🙄.

Back