• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Anyone have the torque spec for carb hold down bolts ?

moparfever

Reaction score
Can't find the torque spec for my Carter AVS carb to manifold bolts. It's 340 with a 4 barrel AVS carb.
Anyone can help me out would be great.

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Tighten them to 10 ft. lbs. If it leaks, try 13. Factory specs are for factory gaskets. Use the thinnest gaskets you can find and you'll never break your carb plate.

rklein71

Reaction score
I can honestly say I have never used a torque wrench on carb bolts....never broken a carb base plate either.

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Moparleo would rather see a newbie grab his 10-150 ft. lb. Harbor Freight torque wrench, set it on 16 ft/lbs., thinking it would be accurate, and proceed to strip the nuts on his intake or snap the corner off a priceless Edeljunk carb. Disagree to agree.

moparleo

Reaction score
Someone asked for the torque spec. I answered the question. I do not qualify the aptitude of the members here. How do you know what I would rather see ? OK be careful of the questions you ask, someone might answer them honestly. By the way, I got the info from the Factory Service Manual. I did not make it up or give an opinion like tighten one slight finger pull. How much is that, really ?

moparfever

Reaction score
It's a Carter avs carb original to the engine not a edelbrock carb.
Thanks for all of everyone's good replies.

gzig5

Reaction score
It's a Carter avs carb original to the engine not a edelbrock carb.
Thanks for all of everyone's good replies.

Doesn't matter who made the carb, they all have fragile flanges in my experience that can be warped or cracked by improper torque.

rklein71

Reaction score
From Holley... 3. Place the carburetor on top of the flange gasket on the manifold. Install the hold down nuts and snug down progressively in a “crisscross” pattern (60-80 in./lbs.), as shown in Figure 1.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I was thinking the correct torque would be measured in in/lb and not ft/lb but I would just nip it down with a small spanner in a crisscross pattern never broken a carb flange or had an air leak yet, have had to TIG weld carb flanges others have broken however. Put a straight edge on the carburettor and intake surfaces to make sure they are perfectly flat I had a brand new manifold that was out @ .010" if I didn't check it the carb base plate would have broken for sure.

Back